NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Very concerned. Blood from beak.

Cinnyminis

Okay, so, Radar has some health issues going on. For months, the ends of his mini clip have been looking ragged and splintered. Last week we saw a vet who trimmed up the wings and discovered the shafts are actually breaking and splitting as they exit the skin.

Today, he was chewing on the end of a wooden perch and I think he either cut or broke the tip of his beak. I found some random blood on his foot and the perch and searched everywhere for the blood, only to discover it about a half hour later at the tip of his beak. He was acting very quiet tonight too, so I know he hurt himself.

I will be calling the vet in the morning, but in the meantime, what should I be concerned with? Watch for?

Beth

I did not take him in. It was just the very tip and the bleeding stopped last night. Today you could barely tell what happened. I did call the vet but had to leave a message with her answering service as she was not in today. I do plan on talking to her tomorrow. Today Radar was pretty quiet and snugly all day until right before bed when he played peekabo with one of my daughters. He was using his beak to climb today, although he was doing that gingerly. Also, he was not chewing on any of his wooden block toys like he usually does. I'm guessing it is just a bit sore. There is a scab if you look but it is barely noticeable. He was also eating just fine. I am hoping that all will continue to go well with him, and I also added extra soft shreddable stuff (newspapers) to his play area just in case he still feels like shredding.

It's really good to hear it resolved itself overnight, other than a little soreness which is to be expected. He will probably hate it (NOT), but you could give a soft diet of natural chunky peanut butter, oatmeal, yogurt ... you get the drift. :)