NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

ALEX video. An hour long interview with Dr Pepperberg.

Mistyparrot

I found this during one of my Youtube trawls. I have not seen this particular video referenced here so I am offering it for your comments. There is an addendum at the end that must particularly troubling for Americans.

Steve n Misty

I've seen that video before. It's been on youtube for about 3 yrs. There's more up to date videos that have since been posted. As far as the plucking you wanred to know about, He's been doing that all his life. He was a chronic plucker so there was no way to stop that habit. Lots of conversations and accusations on many boards have been brought up about the plucking. Some people blame her, some blame his environment throught out his life, some blame the food he was fed, some blame the fact that he was always with lab techs throughout his life. He was simply a chronic plucker who's wings were also clipped. She got him when he was approx 2 to 3 yrs old. There was nothing special about him. She's now working with another grey and also an amazon. Hope this helps you.

Her description of the pet shop assistant catching Alex in a net and then trimming his beak claws and wings put a chill in my heart!:mad:

I think it is true to say that wild Greys to not pluck. Plucking comes about as a result of living in captivity but as you say it can be a very hard habit to break.

Steve n Misty