NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Finding the Right Cage

Chiropter

Hello Grey Forums,

I am planning to purchase a Congo African Grey Parrot shortly. I have done my research: found a reputable breeder, toys, accessories all the essentials, and have "bird-proofed" my house. I have never owned any species of parrot or bird but I've worked at aviaries for almost 6 years now, while bird-sitting various other birds before then: Cockatoos, Cockatiels, Budgies, Amazon parrots, even a Macaw once (though he just sat and stared at me the entire time cursing about Super Mario). What turned my heart towards Greys is a long story but while volunteering at a local shelter for abandoned birds I met an old African Grey called Lococo and fell in love, only to watch him pass away shortly after. I've always remembered him and now am finally in the process of purchasing a Grey.

Well anyway, sorry for long story.................................................................................

I don't have a specific question so to say but more of a few queries I suppose. I am attempting to find a sufficient cage for my future African Grey but am having trouble doing so. That's the first issue, second issue I was wondering about, is how many different types of cages should I buy? Third issue now has to do with the fact I will be purchasing a fairly young African Grey; 3 months old to be precise. He will not have been fledged, and I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to ensure he is safe inside a larger cage; towels at bottom, lower toys and so on. Would that be sufficient or could he still face the risk of harming himself in a daredevil climb? I will be around him 24/7 but I have to sleep and am worried that he might harm himself climbing. If anyone could help with this, thank you so much! Below I have more information regarding the first question.

First query or comment I suppose is I'm having trouble finding a suitable cage for my Grey. I'll list the qualifications I'm looking for and if anyone can provide links, names, or sites to find cages fitting these descriptions, it would be greatly appreciated.

----First, dimensions. INTERIOR DIMENSIONS ONLY; 4-5Ft Height, 2.8-4Ft Length, 2-3Ft Width

INTERIOR DIMENSIONS MINIMUM in inches; 40 Height, 32 Length, 22 Width

----Second, measurements. BAR SPACING; 0.75-1.2" inches

BAR THICKNESS; 3-5mm

----Play-top, not dome-top or slide top preferably

----4 feeder cups entrances

----Bird safe please, nothing toxic like lead or zinc.

----Nothing over $750, I can not pay that much.

----Able to ship throughout U.S., free shipping would be great.

Appreciate all answers, thank you!

EDIT: I found this cage on eBay and usually I'm loath to purchase anything that has not been approved but I was wondering if this cage might work as a good "outdoor cage". It says its made of Carbon Steel, is this safe for a African Grey?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251323519581?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Edited by Chiropter
New Information

• 2 weeks later...