NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New member from VA - Intro with pics.....

GreyG

I've recently joined you all after trying to register for a couple of months....had some real issues getting past the spam checker thing.... Anyhoo -- looking forward to learning alot!! I have had birds my entire life - started with a parakeet, finches and canaries as a boy and worked my way up from there. I've had an Umbrella Cockatoo, Quaker, and a Blue Headed Pionus - all of which are gone now but will never be forgotten. My wife and I currently have three - all of which appear to have come from rotten eggs:

Cleo - 18yr old Meyer's Parrot who has ruled the roost since 1995.

221919_1022394479327_2310_n.jpg

1078886_10200416466953445_1314069759_o.jpg

Bailey - 9yr old Coral Billed Pionus who taught us there is no such thing as a free lunch (he is a rehomed rescue - came to us at age of 6 months in 2004).

224124_1022391959264_7495_n.jpg

226254_1022392599280_9702_n.jpg

Zoey - 6 month old African Grey (Congo). This is MY baby!! She is also the sister of another grey I saw here on the forum, Thane.

1072256_10200416404111874_208112381_o.jpg

1001543_10200416400351780_916961244_n.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I am glad you are persistent and not easily deterred. The fact you posted pictures on your intro is impressive since it took me a whole lot longer to figure it out. Cleo looks so much like our Java and your description of ruling the roost and coming from rotten eggs is making me smile. We have a red bellied female, Java, from the same poicephalus family. She is seven now and she is still a little spitfire. Trying to understand her was what brought me to the forum since her behavior is more like the African grey than any other information I could eke out. I look forward to hearing more about Bailey too. We have a rehomed character and not only is there no such thing as a free lunch, we paid extra for the learning experience. LOL. And now you have Zoey. She is adorable. There is a saying about having kids, you have two kinds... "one to make you happy, one to make you humble"... because thats how you learned that the one that made you happy had nothing to do with you but was their inborn nature... LOL. The same thing may apply to parrots. I look forward to learning about your journey.

Hello GreyG and welcome to our family.

I am from Virginia also and I see you are in the Virginia Beach area, I know there are a couple of bird clubs down that way, do you belong to one of them?

I see you have a nice selection of fids and I have to agree that we all seem to have gotten some pretty rotten eggs but we wouldn't trade them for anything.

Zoey is adorable with those dark eyes, love those baby greys and thanks for including pictures in your intro post, saves us from having to ask for them.

• Haha 1

.... I see you are in the Virginia Beach area, I know there are a couple of bird clubs down that way, do you belong to one of them?

Hi Judy! No we do not currently belong to any of the clubs down here.....a couple of years ago we showed up for one of monthly meetings to see about joining Pet Bird Club of Virginia , but as luck would have it, they had cancelled that particular meeting...and we ended up being the only people there! lol!! Maybe we'll give it a try again someday....

Thanks for the welcome everyone!!!!