NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Newton Meeting His New Vet

Cyard

Today, I went ahead and made an appointment for Newton to see the vet because I just want to make sure everything is working properly. He has shown no signs of sickness not that birds do until it is usually too late:( . Plus it worries me to hear about sick birds and I want to make sure that he is not carrying something that could be a horrible surprise.

I do have a very nice carrier that Newton hates.:S So are there any suggestions on how to make him as comfortable as possible without causing more than needed stress.

Plus any suggestions on any specifics I should ensure that I ask the vet (especially for understanding this breed since he is my First African Grey, although I have had other parrots since I was about 2 years old), besides the typical? I like to write out a list so that I forget nothing and admittedly I am obsessive because I take a tape recorder so that I don't forget his answers.:whistle:

Feedback is very appreciated and I hope that everyone has a very nice day!

You are doing the right thing taking him to see the vet, he should get a complete workup, I know it will cost some money but it tells so much about their health.

Just talk to him sweetly while he is in the carrier and maybe he will get used to it, I have no problem with Josey, she does not mind the carrier, she knows she is going somewhere. And that is another thing, don't just use it for vet visits or he will associate it with going there, take him for other outings that will be fun for him so he won't hate it so much.

Taking a recorder will help to remember what the vet says but I can't think of any thing specific to ask, I'm sure if he is any kind of a good vet he will volunteer lots of information on his own.

Good luck with the vet visit and let us know how it goes.

Wellness checks a pretty much a must, as apparently you already know. :-)

How did it go?

I just took Dayo in last Thursday for a 6 Month wellness check. My ulterior motive was I just really wanted to get a check on Calcium, D and other Vitamin levels to ensure he is getting all the nutrients at sufficient levels from the Diet Ive been feeding him.

The Vet first commented on how well behaved and friendly Dayo always is. He didn't like her checking out his vent much though ;) . She did take a fresh poo sample (which always become available quickly) to analyze, but stated that at such a young age, a nutrient level check blood panel would be pretty much worthless due to wild fluctuations while they are still going through so many bodily changes at such a young Age?

So, my motive for the visit went unfulfilled, but the Poo analyses was fine. :-)

We just got home and it went very well. Newton did an excellent job and behaved very well. B) I was a very proud Mommy and I am happy to report that we are a very healthy family.

I am very glad that we did it because it gave Newton a chance to meet the vet and get a feel for him before any major procedures are needded like blood. Plus I found out the vet does a parrot training class and I am all for that!:) So I enrolled us and he said he will call us and let me know when the first class is. YAY!!