NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Polyoma/ Budgerigar fledgling disease in African Grey?

Joyvke

Dear all,

First of hello! I tried looking for the subject in the forums, but I didn't seem to be able to find it. We are expecting our baby African Grey at the end of the week, he's roughly 8 weeks now. We have an amazon parrot that has tested negative for polyoma, pbfd, chlamyedia en PDD. The parrots are housed downstairs.

I have read cases about African Grey with polyoma, but they mostly had it in combination with PBFD. What are the experiences in this forum? There's a few articles that mention that greys don't seem to develop disease, although they could be infected.

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, but I thought it was appropriate for the question I had.

Regards.

If every bird in your house has been tested for diseases and they all been given a clean bill of health, that's great but the normal thing that should be done is to keep the new bird away from a mature bird for possible health reasons. That means quarantine ( different room) for about 2 to 4 weeks but even more important here is the age of that baby. The baby bird should be weaned before being sold. Many deaths have occured because the new owner really hasn't the experience to handfeed a baby. It's a process. Also, a new bird should be taken to a vet to get a *well* check. If any thing is wrong, a refund or exchange can be done but the problem there is that not all the regular tests that are done on a new weaned bird can be done on an unweaned bird because the bird needs to be fully developed. So, try to have the seller fully wean the bird before taking it home.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your answer. The parrot is coming from a vet and has had all tests done as well and came out clean itself. He has taught us how to hand feed the baby and will write down the feeding schedule for us as well. He has raised many baby parrots and his/ her brothers/ sisters were send off 2 weeks ago.

I would have preferred it to be with us when at least 12 weeks as well. However certain circumstances are making it to be this week. It might be slightly older as well, though that won't matter too much I guess.

Mostly just curious about polyoma in African Greys as I can't seem to find information on the virus on it's own - it's most of the time accompanied with PBFD.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for your answer. The parrot is coming from a vet and has had all tests done as well and came out clean itself. He has taught us how to hand feed the baby and will write down the feeding schedule for us as well. He has raised many baby parrots and his/ her brothers/ sisters were send off 2 weeks ago.

I would have preferred it to be with us when at least 12 weeks as well. However certain circumstances are making it to be this week. It might be slightly older as well, though that won't matter too much I guess.

Mostly just curious about polyoma in African Greys as I can't seem to find information on the virus on it's own - it's most of the time accompanied with PBFD.

Here's your answer--------

http://www.avianbiotech.com/Diseases/Polyoma.htm

Thanks Dave :). I have read and read and read multiple articles on the subject. In Dutch and English, shame I'm limited to those two languages ;p. I was more hoping for individual experiences in case people did have birds who sadly had the disease on them. I have had contact with an avian vet who researched the disease and mentioned to me that African Greys are not really a species they find AVP to cause diseases in, only when they have PBFD as well.