NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dali chipped his beak...need advice

Carolina

My CAG chipped the tip of his top beak when he fell off his perch (I can't wait for him to be flighted). There is visible blood (it's dry now) from the opening but no blood dripping, just looks like a small open wound with dried blood. He is very sensitive and won't eat or drink water. This happened around 3:45 PM. I called my avian vet and I have an appointment tomorrow. He said to feed him soft foods and not to worry. I am worried sick! I made him vegetable mash and soft bird bread but he won't eat. It seems so painful to him. He won't drink water either. The tip is partially attached and he tries to rub it off but stops because of the pain. He is still pooping normal. He seems to be resting more than usual. Should I be worried? He has an appointment tomorrow but hasn't had water or eaten anything since the incident. Thanks in advance!

Poor guy, that hurts. The tip of their top beak is very sensitive, thus the chip is painful when used right now. He will be ok and the vet may prescribe a pain killer. Soft foods will be the food items he will eat until it heals. I look forward to an update after the vet visit today.

Poor Dali that is painful, Rescue Remedy would not harm him if you want to put a drop in his warm soft food. Help him recover from the shock of injury. Let us know what your Vet says, I think they may remove the loose bit to make him more comfortable. Hope to hear all is well soon.

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the replies! This morning Dali was eating a little of the vegetable mash I gave him and his bird bread He removed the hanging tip of the beak on his own. The vet said the fracture was not too deep and did not affect the rest of his beak. They sedated him and filed the tip down until they found the fracture, cleaned it, plugged it with surgical glue, gave him a pain/anti-inflammatory shot, and he was all set. He's on pain meds for 5 days. He's doing great tonight! He even asked for his pellets and he was eating them without any problems. Unfortunately for him, no more high stands until his flight feather are molted...sticking to low stools with a low stand lol...he's not happy. The vet advised me on how to stimulate his feathers by using full spectrum lighting and slowly increasing the duration of daylight. I hope it works! Thanks again for all the replies, you guys are the best!

• Haha 1