NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

BFA crop pest

Ray P

Did you know ??

The Blue Fronted Amazon along with almost all amazons parrots, are known as crop pest.

The BFAs tend to attack citrus crops and various other cultivated fruits and seeds.

Many farmers destroy these birds to save their crops.

It takes my breath away. After living with a few parrots, I don't think I will ever think of any parrot as 'just a bird'. I have such an awe of them. It would surely be a complicated endeavor for a poor farmer to try to outsmart these parrots if they are determined to feed on his crops though.

It is disturbing to hear they kill them. I would imagine the flocks numbering in the hundreds or maybe thousands could destroy a large crop rather quickly. Here in our area where fruits, vegetables and grains are grown in enormous quantities they use air blast canons that go off every 2 or 3 minutes which keeps the birds away. I have also seen some crops surrounded by party steamers made of 2 foot long shiny silver, red and blue hanging from a suspended wire about 15 feet off the ground and as a slight breeze blows they move and flash. There are numerous ways to keep birds away these days without killing them.