NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Expanding Vocabulary

JeffNOK

My CAG Gracie is a real talker. She is two years old and says about 200 words, almost all within meaningful phrases. The thing is, her 200 word vocabulary pretty much encompasses our daily life. I live alone, so what we "talk" about regards our daily routine. I want her to expand her language skills, but I' not sure what else to teach her. She already greets me daily with "good morning", asks for her breakfast, comments on my shower and shaving habits, says goodbye when I leave for work with "Daddy go to work. Daddy go bye bye in car. I'll be back." She greets me when I return, "Daddy's home. Daddy stay with Gracie.". She knows all my friends by name including my parents' dog.. She comments on our various activities: "Daddy whatcha doing? Daddy on couch. Daddy use computer. Gracie, whatcha doin'.? Gracie in cage. Gracie on perch", etc. She says, "Gracie likes toys: when she plays. She says, "Gracie stretchy stretchy...or Gracie scratchy scratchy" when she does those things. When she preens, she says, "Gracie has feathers." When she flies, she says, "Fly fly fly". She knows what she eats by name: peas, carrots, corn, potato, egg, beans, etc. The other day I gave her a veggie mix that had broccoli and cauliflower, and she dumped it on the floor saying, "Gracie wants peas and corn" with irritation. She asks for fresh water and baths. She talks about bites and kisses and touch. At night she tells me when she wants to sleep, "Night night time. Back in cage. Sweet dreams." When she is full of exuberance, she says "Happy! Happy! Happy!." She asks to go to the park, "Gracie go to park. Gracie like sunshine. See birdies. See people." I guess I am just at a loss at what else to teach her. Some greys have 1,000+ word vocabularies, but Gracie can pretty much narrate her life with 200 words. I don't want her to learn words just for the sake of it. I want to find ways to deepen our communication. I'm just not sure what the best course of action is. She isn't limited--I am.

Wingy is spot on. Gracie is only limited in the sense of what she is exposed to.

Start counting out how many walnuts, peanuts or other items you give her that are favorites. You can give her flowers like tulips or other safe varieties of different colors and name those colors. She will soon pick up for example that she wants a purple, orange or yellow flower depending on her taste preference. The sky is the limit on what you can expose her to and teach the various aspects of them. The most important thing is consistency, time and patience. I counted out various items to dayo for a few years until he got it right. he will tell me how many pistachios he wants, or make 3 kiss sounds and tell me " Three Kisses". So you can apply counting to not only visible items, but sounds for example. They will pick up the concept of anything can be counted. You will see those wheels turning while she listens, looks and processes what you are trying to convey to her.

But. I will say the more complex concepts take much more time for them to master and use.

She knows 4 animal sounds: Dog, cat, chicken, and monkey. She also sings the main verses of 3 simple songs. Right now she is learning Aretha Franklin's "Respect". I will start with colors and numbers. That might be a challenge. I would like to teach her to express her feelings. So far she just says when she is happy or sleepy.

Sophie learned alot thru music. She LOVES when my kids play their instruments. Violin, piano, sax, and guitar. She learned to dance and whistle many tunes. She LOVES rymes... Shel Silverstein and Dr. Seuss are her favorites.I don't understand the attraction.... but she goes crazy, wanting to learn all the songs from the " sound of music."

I also always bought her two year old toys. Animal sounds always interested her.Sophie doesn't go crazy for bird toys. I was always left for finding her kid toys that kept her interest. Nancy