NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrots and Sunlight

lovethatgrey

Great article - thx for posting. One thing I was looking for in there was amount of outdoor time, maybe I missed it as I was speed reading it. Can't seem to find any consensus on how much outdoor light is optimal or minimal. We put our birds out around 8am which means the arc of the sun is lower and they can only be out there for an hour or maybe a little more before they become cooked chickens (at least right now when we're hitting 100+ daily).

An hour of sunlight outdoors a day is much better than zero. Then add a good avian light like a Avian Sun 5.0 over there cage to provide good lighting the rest of the day. If it's not too hot, we keep our birds out for around 4 hours until it becomes too hot. As we being fall, we will have them outdoors up to 8 hours. Of course optimal, would be a grey outdoors from dawn to dusk just as they are in the wild.

Edited by danmcq

1998--15 yrs ago. Information has been updated. Methods for success has been posted. People have tried out different things with success and failure. People have posted about this subject. Read the sticky in the Health Room sticky area. That's why newer information is posted as a sticky.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?157511-UVB-LIGHTING-IT-S-IMPORTANCE