NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How Does Losing a Spouse Affect a Grey?

chezron

I am getting divorced. Brutus loves us both, but I am his favorite. I am keeping the parrots. What will happen once he no longer sees my husband? Will he be sad? I really hate to do this to Brutus. There will be no visitation since he is moving across the country. I know Brutus loves it when we are all together talking, and he will not have that anymore.

First off I am sorry. No matter the circumstances divorce is hard. Please give yourself the time and permission to grieve.

Brutis will probably think that your husband has gone to work for a long time. He may call and watch for him or even look through the house but if you keep to your normal routine Bruits will adapt. Has your soon to be ex ever gone away while you stayed home?

I am sorry to hear this too. As Wingy said, divorce is never easy for all involved. I don't have experience with this exactly, but when my son (and one of Timber's favorites) went away to college it didn't seem to have a big effect on Timber. When Dakota comes home, Timber acts just like he always did toward him. I'm sure he wondered where Dakota was, but it didn't affect his health or behavior. Good luck!

The others have all given good advice, keep things as normal as possible and Brutus will do fine, it is probably best he doesn't see him in the future as it will only send the wrong message that he is returning to the home. Sorry about the divorce but it seems to be a lot of that going around.

Sorry also. I got divorced almost 6 years ago. Talon really liked my ex and my oldest son. They both stayed behind and the rest of us moved into a new house. She seemed fine with it all. She had me all to herself, no other birds except parakeets at the time. They do adapt very well.

It is sweet for you to be thinking of Brutus' wellbeing and happiness amidst big changes in your life. I am sorry for your loss and what you are going through as well. I believe that our own emotions are picked up by our greys particularly and Brutus will fare well as long as you are taking care of yourself, not allowing yourself to be isolated. Since he likes the house to be active, it may be a good time to catch up with extended family and have visits from friends. It will give you something fun and positive and will be good for Brutus too. Gilbert has had a rough start and he has weathered changes in our life really well as far as our traveling and being separated for months at a time. I am glad since you spend so much time with Brutus and he loves you that you will have him in your life.