NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

I purchased romeo 10 months ago, he was a re home from a couple who didn't know what they were doing, they had two greys in a cage barely big enough for one. Romeo was almost 3 but he came cheap (for a grey) because he was not very friendly and couldn't really talk. And was on a seed only diet but they had bought Harrison pellets but he wouldn't eat them.

I did my research for a year before we brought him home, neither hubby and I had ever owned so much as a budgie before, I read an article Patricia Sunds work (love her stuff, very real life parrot ownership). We have a zoo full of pets and here we were looking to add a Grey these high maintenance, overly intelligent beautiful animals, into our action packed household. Half the articles suggested a full house like ours would be almost cruel to the quiet nervous birds, others suggested it would be perfect for their inquisitive minds. Truthfully I think its different for every person and every bird.

They were wrong about Romeo though he was nervous, it was fairly mild really he has been fairly brave since day one, as for seeds he has been on pellets, chop and birdy bread from day one without a hesitation, he was no fan of petting and handling, but learned step up flawlessly in a month, he has always seemed to enjoy the constant action in this house, and will step up with anyone he meets. As for talking he said his first (s**t lol) on his first day here, he hasnt stopped. He not only talks but sings in english (missing half the words) in his worbly birdy voice (which is hilarious). He also use to be this amazingly quiet bird, who would sleep in when we did. Sadly this is no longer the case, this loud little bugger wakes up and screeches till we follow suit.

He has also undergone many a personality changes from the shy mild mannered bird who picked favorites (one favorite for months at a time), to the bird (I thought he was done changing) (4 months), the stereotypical grey who demanded nearness to us but from a distance, independent content to play with his toys (another 2 months), to grumpy hormonal spring bird (around a month and a half) and now we own a cockatoo, this cuddly little bugger screeches till he gets his kisses pats and general cuddles.

Will the changes ever stop?

But I must say 10 months in we love him all the more, he talks to us eats with us, yells at our dogs, parties with our friends (without the sauce don't worry),our strange little roommate, friend, family member and companion named Romeo...

Guest Jocelyn
Very nice update on Romeo. I believe each grey/parrot is different as are the humans they live with. I am delighted that you and your family give Romeo a chance to be himself. Will be looking forward to more updates!

I wonder, do you think they grow to reflect us or acclimatize to their home settings?

Thanks for the update! Glad to hear things are going so well for you and Romeo. Personally, I think they acclimate or adapt to their environment and new flock. That seems to be what Timber has done at any rate. I've had him about 14 months now. He has developed a slightly different relationship with each person/animal in the house.

Great update, and yes they do change for what ever reason they think they need too.

My gray Corky will become a teenager in December (OH my 13) and has been with us all her life and is no surprise when she comes up with something new after all these years.

To live with a grey will open your eyes.

Guest Jocelyn

Thanks all! He is a fun guy and personality coming out the bum!

Love the story. Please post a video so we can all hear his singing voice. How fun!

I wish I could he is impossible to catch if he sees a phone or camera he stops, he sings, "Bad Bird, Bad Bird Whatcha, Watcha gonna doooo?" (to the cops theme music) and "heeeeey ladies? whop whop whop gangnam style, " very cute. He is a very musical bird, I think because we play a lot of singstar which he loves, but his singing voice leaves something to be desired lol

You are doing great with Romeo. He feels comfortable, and is trusting you! You are providing an enviroment that encourages his personality.When you ask " Do they grow to reflect us, or acclimate to the home settings," they actually do both.Just always follow romeo's lead and encourage his personality. Sophie, Sean and Ryan, have their own personal relationship, that is amazing. I'm just " rom"... mom. I get left out alot of personal fun. I'm okay with that... because mom's tend to create the wonderful situation, everyone gets along, and then get ignored! LOL Nancy