NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Knowing yourself

Ray P

After many years of having birds, more years than I want to count and most of them rescue and or rehome,, it had become easer and easer for me to resocialize them.

I thought that I was getting good at understanding them and their needs when it came to socializing.

Back when I started having birds, having a parrot was not common like it is to day and most people could go to a pet store and buy a parrot, put in a cage that was way to small and than watch it destroy its self.

I would always play with my birds and never had trouble making companions out of them so I thought I was good at understanding them and knowing what they needed.

The fact is, it was me starting to understand myself and looking for the things that they were telling me they needed.

Of all the rehome/rescue parrots I have had over the many years it was Cricket, my amazon that was the easiest to resocialize, the one I thought I would have the most trouble with. She told me every thing that she needed.

Every successful parrot care giver will tell you that they are different because of their parrot companions and the lessons learned goes both ways and that they know them self better than before.

Your success with your fid is up to you because you can change and than they will.

Very good post Ray. I have to say that having 2 greys and 1 amazon, it is Nilah my amazon that has also taught me to respond to her needs and wants more than the others? I believe that amazons have that ability. They let you know in no uncertain terms, how to connect with them. I think having an amazon is so very different than having a grey. I have learned so much from Nilah, that I know has been very helpful in my interactions with my greys. Nilah has a way of making you think, feel and respond in ways other than human ones, when interacting with my flock, if that makes any sense....

I think its the eyes. To me a amazon carries their emotion in their eyes. If you look closely you can read them and get a glimpse of what is going on in their head. Happy, curious, angry, grumpy, interested, excited, the eyes will tell you if you take the time to watch and learn. Greys have a poker face.

Excellent thread, thanks. I was just thinking about the changes in Gilbert's life in the past year. As I have traveled and watched him change before my eyes, he is not the only one changing. I think if I were a parrot, I would be a grey. The more I learn to be patient with Gilbert and let him come out on his own, the quieter I am becoming in my own space. All of the Amazons you have here are so enticing, but when it comes down to it, my quiet little grey guy is just right in our home.