NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Haven for a hummingbird

katana600

Wow! I am a 6ft4 210 pound 46 year old man and this made me shed a tear. It is important to read the disclaimer at the top to know the whole story. So refreshing and a testament to the fact that humans do not have to be the natural enemy of wildlife. We can be a support, encourager, and lifeline. I'm smiling ear to ear!

My grandmother fed hummingbirds every year and she would sometimes have hundreds of them during the migration. Every year she would have a nest right outside her kitchen window and we would watch the little beaks emerge and eventually the babies. One year two of the babies were abandoned, I was somewhere in my early teens. Grandma knew I had a thing for birds so she brought them in and asked me to come up and take care of them. I had no idea what I was doing but somehow managed to feed those little guys through fledgling and they eventually were released right out my Grandmother's back door. The part in the video where you see him practicing their flying, I did that with mine. I would place them on my hand and would let them float and then catch them. Wasn't long before they were flying to other landing spots. They were the cutest things and my Grandmother loved to always talk about how I raised those two hummingbirds when I was little. I have the feeling she had a hand in it more than I knew though.

• Haha 1

As a young teen, I saw my first hummingbird and thought it was some kind of mythical creature it was so tiny with brilliant irridescent colors. When I met my husband's grandparent's, they had multiple feeders. Many hummingbirds came back every year and recognized Pop and he could stand outside and they would land on him. I was captivated. To this day I have yet to see a hummingbird nest. I have a lovely book about hummingbirds and it shows a nest. There is a passage about baby hummingbirds digging their long beak into the cocoon-like nest to propel their little backsides over the edge to poo outside as to not attract preadors to the nest. Watching this young man take the time and energy to rescue and care for this little hummingbird tugs at my heartstrings. Well done.