NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

scary moment in the garden (heat wave UK)

charlie boy

a few days back we had a very hot day 32c here which is very hot for the UK..

well me and a friend pulled charlie out the back as he has been outside nearly every day in this glorious weather :cool: well within 10 mins my friend shouted me from the bottom of my garden to come quick :(

he noticed charlie panting heavily which made me nearly start panicking as i knew it was not a good sign, we quickly got him back inside where it was cooler, gave him a cool shower and set a fan up to blow air around the room all the while im feeling sick with worry, well within 5/10 mins he was fine and back climbing around and whistling away :) wondering why he was getting extra fuss this day haha

panic over and lesson learned :)

allthough charlie had been out loads of times in this heat & his cage was shaded half/half and had cool showers often and cold treats, this day was a hot day and i got caught off guard with just how warm it was, im just glad my friend noticed straight away as things could of taken a turn for the worst if not noticed even a few minutes more..

This heat wave we are having is not to be taken lightly, good thing your friend noticed his odd behavior and you got him cooled off, we all have to take this seriously and not get overheated when outside especially if we are in the sun, drink lots of water but that cooling bath did the trick for Charlie.

Good to hear this was caught in time. I have no doubt you'll learn from this scare. I have to watch my birds closely when outside. Where I live it starts at 80 early morning and climbs to 95 by 11am, with highs ranging from 105 to 111 so far this summer. So the birds can only be out an hour or so early morning and must be moved back inside. :)

This heat wave we are having is not to be taken lightly, good thing your friend noticed his odd behavior and you got him cooled off, we all have to take this seriously and not get overheated when outside especially if we are in the sun, drink lots of water but that cooling bath did the trick for Charlie.

thanks :) and yes this weather is very unusual for the UK, i swear if it were not for my friend noticing charlie this thread may well of been very different & i hate to say it :( as we usually chat over the back fence of my neighbour for a good bit whilst we whistle back & forth to charlie, he is eager to join us everytime lol :)

Good to hear this was caught in time. I have no doubt you'll learn from this scare. I have to watch my birds closely when outside. Where I live it starts at 80 early morning and climbs to 95 by 11am, with highs ranging from 105 to 111 so far this summer. So the birds can only be out an hour or so early morning and must be moved back inside. :)

this is without a doubt my lesson learned, i nearly fell apart, as i knew he was not well in this heat when i pulled him back inside :(

but as we speak he is fine & dandy :) he is chatting new words as i type, i can not wait for the mrs to hear his new vocabulary :)

that heat would keel me over and dehydrate me in 2 hours :) i could not take that heat haha

are you talking 40c+ celcius ??

that heat would keel me over and dehydrate me in 2 hours :) i could not take that heat haha

are you talking 40c+ celcius ??

Yes, it is 40+ Celsius. It's so hot here in the summertime, that Rattlesnakes use Umbrella's. :P

Yes, it is 40+ Celsius. It's so hot here in the summertime, that Rattlesnakes use Umbrella's. :P

rattle snakes HAHAHAHA thnx that made me laugh :)

even though it took me a good 10 seconds before i realised we dont have snakes here in the ENGLAND (well not deadly ones) lol

thnx that put a smile on my face :)

Very glad to hear that Charlie is A-ok.

Believe me, I understand your distress. It certainly was a rude awakening when I had my greys out one day in the sun and my TAG started to pant and raise her wings, how could a parrot from Africa get so hot in just 70+ weather. It is a mistake you only make once and thankfully, I was sitting right next to her and noticed immediately her discomfort.

I have wondered that very thing. I suppose they would have to acclimate gradually, like with the seasons? My house is often 80 degrees and sometimes a bit more. Timber doesn't seem to have any problem with that. I've always worried more about the cold than the heat. I'm cold-natured and I don't turn the a/c on until hubby gets uncomfortable. No problems so far, but I keep an eye on him.

Native African greys are used to the hot and humid conditions of the tropics but when we keep them in our homes at the temperatures we find comfortable they get accustomed to that. I keep the a/c on in my home during the summer because the heat bothers me more now than when I was younger but Josey is comfortable and that's what counts. Karen, in my house its me that turns it on, if I left it up to hubby he would let it get hotter or not turn it on at all so I rule the thermostat.