NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The biting has become a problem.

Wingy

I did not want to take over the other thread. Here is the link back to the beginning of the discussion. http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?199861-Is-your-grey-manipulative-and-a-liar

Nancy Jake will bite a forearm or a hand after flying to it, he won't step up for anything but a pillow without a bite now, he attacks legs if he is sitting on your knee, he will fly at your face/neck/shoulder/back/rear end/legs and tear either of us up and it doesn't matter if we are sitting on the couch, standing up, or walking. He can be sitting nice on a knee one moment and the next taking chunks out of it. When ever one of us gets a bite we say not nice, no bite while the other now has to grab a pillow and have him step up onto that (which he hops up onto willingly) for a trip back to the cage. Wrist status isn't going to do diddly because he isn't on a shoulder. It is about time for his yearly check up at the vet and I will be bringing this to her attention because this is either there is something medically wrong or this is a behavior issue that we need help with. We are trying to remain positive but the rate with which this is escalating is frightening.

There's always a reason, whether or not a parront ever figures out what exactly that is. Sometimes, it is a very good idea to make sure it's not a medical issue if there's such a drastic a change in behavior. But if Jake gets a clean bill of health then it's either environmental or behavioral - both the parronts' & the fids'.

So, the next step in the process is to see if anything in Jake's environment has changed. Any... Little... Thing. New hair style, glasses, personal care items, laundry detergent, tattoo? Moved a lamp, a pic, a nic knack? Anything that Jake can see through the window even if you can't (yeah, that's pretty hard to track down!)? Abandon what you think you know & spend a serious bit of time over the next week looking at the world thru his eyes.

Meanwhile, try to closely observe how your partner acts & reacts & ask them to really watch you. It's very easy to think we know what we're doing until someone else points things out from a fresh perspective.

Until you can get this sorted, it's even more important to have positive time w/Jake. Everyone's emotional right now. So it can only help if you deliberately create good interaction. You can't trust physical interaction right now. Maybe try something vocal like playing the whistling game where you can praise him tons, cause they are honestly astounding at it. Maybe some clicker training where you're bonding & teaching fun behaviors w/o actually touching.

You don't want to give up physical contact though. Just maybe make an effort to make more frequent casual contact when he looks like he's interested. But it might be better to limit his time sitting on you. Maybe make a portable activity center for him so he can enjoy being nearby, instead.

Birds don't naturally hang all over each other all the time. They're not like dogs & cats who might actually sleep piled on top of each other or their owners. So a little extra space when things get out of control might not be a bad thing. Just so long as it doesn't become permanent.

You don't feel like you deserve this so it's painful emotionally & physically. And because you don't feel like you have any idea what's going on, you don't feel like you have any control. But Jake may be feeling the same thing. So take a few deep breaths. Step back & start over. This is a process & it will take some time. So honestly commit to it & try not to get hurt or frustrated because that just doesn't help.

Unfortunately, you can't just fix this. But you really can work thru it one step at a time. You're about to learn a whole lot more about yourself & Jake than you ever dreamed. And in the meantime, you can come here to get the next bright idea or just vent any time you need. But the day things finally start to turn around, you're going to realize that you've achieved something so huge that it will pay for this whole ride on the crazy train. Honest!

Birdhouse thank you. I wanted to sit down and really think about what you said before I responded which is why I was silent last night. I am going to pick apart your post and respond to the sections. This isn't to pick you apart because you have provided some excellent information. Perhaps you or someone else might see something that I am missing and as reference for the next vet visit. I am lucky that Jakes vet not only is a certified avian vet but that she also is a behaviorist and that the office is avian and exotic animals only.

So, the next step in the process is to see if anything in Jake's environment has changed. Any... Little... Thing. New hair style, glasses, personal care items, laundry detergent, tattoo? Moved a lamp, a pic, a nic knack? Anything that Jake can see through the window even if you can't (yeah, that's pretty hard to track down!)? Abandon what you think you know & spend a serious bit of time over the next week looking at the world thru his eyes.

There has been no change with products or our appearance. Neither of us color our hair, we haven't had hair cuts in well over a year and I can't remember the last time we bought new clothes. I know it has been since before Jakes hatch day. I buy our household products in bulk once a year every fall so I know there are no new scents. The only thing I have moved is the air filter and that was moved away which might be drawing dust in different patterns. I put it back near his cage this morning. I also looked at photographs to place toys/perches back exactly where they were. When this first started we did initially think that something outside could be the problem but there is nothing and no outside critters. (the only windows are near the ceiling).

Meanwhile, try to closely observe how your partner acts & reacts & ask them to really watch you. It's very easy to think we know what we're doing until someone else points things out from a fresh perspective.

This is a problem. We are both wary and though we try and approach each interaction relaxed and without prejudice we aren't always successful especially when he is in the process of tearing one of us up. We don't yell and have never used any type of physical punishment but we do tense up when we are being turned into chopped meat. We also both pull back when we can see the strike coming. It is a natural instinct but our body language may be making a bad situation worse.

You don't want to give up physical contact though. Just maybe make an effort to make more frequent casual contact when he looks like he's interested. But it might be better to limit his time sitting on you. Maybe make a portable activity center for him so he can enjoy being nearby, instead.

Birds don't naturally hang all over each other all the time. They're not like dogs & cats who might actually sleep piled on top of each other or their owners. So a little extra space when things get out of control might not be a bad thing. Just so long as it doesn't become permanent.

This is something we have trouble with. He wants to be on one of us much of the time. Since all but one pair of his clipped flights have molted out he can fly to us instead of begging for a taxi ride. I think instead of playing attack bird with his toys on his cage top or one of his play gyms like he used to do he has turned to us as his chew toy of choice. He has always had play gyms that are at our eye level. There is one in front of the couch, one on either side of the couch and another adjacent to his cage which is the play top model and is about 5 1/2 feet from the couch.

You don't feel like you deserve this so it's painful emotionally & physically. And because you don't feel like you have any idea what's going on, you don't feel like you have any control. But Jake may be feeling the same thing. So take a few deep breaths. Step back & start over. This is a process & it will take some time. So honestly commit to it & try not to get hurt or frustrated because that just doesn't help.

It doesn't have anything to do with deserving or control but I am frustrated. I really dread hearing the vet suggest that we have his wings clipped. He likes flying and we enjoy seeing him fly. Is this biting the result of his new found flight? A normal part of his growth as he transitions into an adult? Hormonal? That is a maybe but we don't touch any "hot spots" only head and feet, he isn't regurging, or displaying. He doesn't appear to be protecting a chosen person or beating on a chosen person because it happens the same to each of us whether we are all together or alone with him and happens in every room. I joke that I need to have someone make us onsies complete with hood and finger gloves made out of bite proof material.

So thanks for listening to me complain and whine. Feel free to offer ideas or point out something that we are doing wrong.

Edited by Wingy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw this for the first time and am quite interested, as I am havi g a problem with Nilah and my daughter as well.

How old is Jake, and how long has he gone from not being able to fly to free flight?

I once read somewhere that when a parrot is doing behaviour such as this, he could get overstimulated by his new found freedom, and lashout with emotion in figuring out this new ability to control his environment in his being able to fly. The advice I read was that is is important for YOU to be in control, and that meant when he is on you and being good, that you make the first move and have him step up and put him elsewhere, perhaps on a tree stand or perch even if hes only been with you a couple of minutes or so, then praise him for how good he was. Don't allow him to stay long enough to do damage to you. Leave him wanting more.

I'm not sure if I understand correctly, but are all your play stands and perches eye level? Most birds prefer to be up high so I wouldbe sure to place them up as high as possible, it gives them a secure feeling.

Many times a bird temporarilly changes personality. If he/she had a different personality before the change, the bird will eventually turn back to that original personality. But a change means that the owner needs to also change his/her ways of handling the bird. A bird who has reverte to biting many things including people needs to be put into it's cage and some of that freedom that the bird has needs to change. Basically, the owner has to start over almost as if it was a new bird. Everything he does is outside of the cage. Aggressiveness to toys (normal)

*****He wants to be on one of us much of the time****

Not a good idea if the end result is getting chewed or bitten. Scents, clothes, new hairdo or colored hair has nothing to do with your problem. All of those things apply to a bird who is very frightened to come out of a cage.

Getting his wings clipped won't do any good because you'll still have the bird all over you and he'll bite.

***** A normal part of his growth as he transitions into an adult? Hormonal?*****

Maybe, but a male is hormonal/ horny all year long cause he always wants to get laid. All seasons long.

It's possible but that bird still needs to go through basic training again. Put more of his toys in the cage. Stop walking all around the place with him. That just makes it easier to bite you.

Another example of hormones----some friendly adult female greys who goes into that stage needs to be left alone. She's grumpy, dosn't feel satisfied, and will bite at times when the owner does the same exact things when the bird wasn't hormonal. It pisses the owner off but they need to be told to leave the bird alone. Your bird is a male so that problem isn't the same thing. Males who are hormonal don't have major personality changes.

I could go on and on but basically, the things you wanna change aren't gonna happen when the bird is constantly free. That grey is a wild animal and most prey parrots are unpredictable.

Start by feeding through the cage. When he's out, he must be confined to a small area so he can't zoom all over the place and use you and family as landing strips. If he's a bird that refuses to go in the cage then find the greatest thing he likes to eat, let him see it and then put it in the cae. He'll go in. Do that repeatedly. When he's out of the cage have all his toys, playstands etc near the cage.

The bird has to learn to be calm around you. All of your family showing fear from the bird is being picked up by the bird and parrots will take advantage. Parrots won't feel sorry for you. You and the family have to be calm with him and as it stands that won't happen if the bird is sneak attacking the family.

I've seen families not change any part of that bad situation and they usually give the bird away. Parrots have no desire to lightly bite when they're in a biting mood. The harder and deeper it gets, the better the bird likes it.

Most importantly, none of this is gonna happen quickly. It takes much time and I've read your posts ( combining 2 threads) and not much time has really gone by since you started complaining about your problems. You obviously thought that a solution was just around the corner. The more you hold off doing anything about it, ( starting fresh) the worse it's gonna get.

Edited by Dave007

No offense taken. In the absence of specifics, that's the generic check list. Things might or might not be worth trying. Some points generate useful feedback.

But if I might suggest keep looking around. I've posted about a rough few weeks w/Phenix that I'd finally chalked off to attitude. But eventually I found out he was pretty alarmed by a pair of hawks I didn't realize had nested in the yard. They see/hear/smell a very different world sometimes.

I think the most useful skill in working w/a biting bird is learning to get bitten. It's also the hardest of course because it hurts!!! I don't know whether some of us have a higher pain tolerance or are just better actors.

But I think on some level, birds are like dogs. If you act afraid, even the most laid back dog might think it would be fun to yank your chain. It may actually get you bitten by the more aggressive & insecure dog.

Also, fids are ultra-hypersensitive & our negative emotions are particularly contagious. When the flock leaders are edgy, the flock is on guard & it takes much less to get a reaction. You're both flock leaders. So if you're spooked, Jake can be more proned to over react.

That still doesn't mean he might not just be playing. And that doesn't eliminate the possibility he got his feelings hurt because he feels rejected by something you did. Or just ticked him off about something random. Or he freaked out about who knows what. Each bite needs to be handled as a unique episode to some degree.

I noticed you left out the part where I suggested creating as much positive interaction as possible. Assuming you think that has merit, it might still be a good place to start no matter why Jake is acting like this. You'll be in control but you'd all be working together. Helping to establish you as flock leader at that moment & also that will help some w/whatever this problem is doing to your bond.

If Jake's decided that he just enjoys aggressive play, he'll be learning something more passive. It might help build better socializing skills as well. It will also help break the tension & help make things easier.

And in the meantime you'll study how much he's changing. You'll learn new things about his mind boggling thought process. You'll get a better grasp of his body language. All very valuable, especially right now.

Dave this is not something that just started and I have no illusions on a quick fix. I searched the threads and the internet on biting to try and curb it and didn't say anything until it escalated into something I knew just wasn't getting better and he was going for heads and faces Honestly I figured we were entering the "terrible two's" early.

What your saying makes sense. In human terms he crossed the line and we are past the point of time out and its now time for some serious grounding and earning back privileges. We need to show him that by not biting, playing with us gently and stepping up is how he earns out of cage time and time with us.

He is in his cage now and alternates between being pretty pissed of (screaming, pathetic chirping, chewing up his rope perches and trying to chew his way out), beating the snot out of everything hanging and tossing his foot toys around. He is holding his wings out, feathers tight to the body and shooting me dagger eyes. In his anger he even bit his toe a few times. He did eat a few bites of dinner so it doesn't look like he will stop eating out of anger. Other than stress plucking and not eating is there anything else we should watch for that would indicate that he is just to stressed out over being confined? We want him to be a good bird but not break his spirit.

Birdhouse we do praise him when ever he does something right. We talk and interact when he would play independently (oh boy, get the bells, whatcha got?) and anytime he would step up or do anything we asked to try and reinforce good behavior. We have always tried to ignore the bad behavior and praise the good. Up until the biting became constant it had worked.

Dave we don't want to give up and are willing to work to make this better. Rehoming is not an option I am willing to consider.

Dave & I are probably going to end up on totally opposite ends of the scale here. So, Dave, in advance, absolutely no disrespect intended.

My instinct is that Jake has no idea why he's being treated like this. There's no way for him to connect the dots the way you want him to. And there are a lot of ways his brand of logic can go horribly sideways. To me, what you're describing is traumatic & trauma leads to more issues.

Which is why I'm all about positive reinforcement. That means most everyone ends up relatively happy during any behavior modification. And no one's smiling now.

No disrespect to you guys either. You're there. I'm not. Just this approach worries me. You said your vet's a behavior expert who would be able to make recommendations based on observing everyone. So at this point I wish you'd consider riding it out until you see her.

I am thinking that some trust has been lost on both sides of this situation. Maybe taking a few steps backward and then moving slowly forward like you are introducing a new bird into your home. More cage time less hands on time. Lots of stopping by to chat, give a few treats, sing and dance together with out stepping up. Make it fun short and interesting.

I just saw this for the first time and am quite interested, as I am havi g a problem with Nilah and my daughter as well.

How old is Jake, and how long has he gone from not being able to fly to free flight?

Jake is 15 months old now and was clipped after he moved from the baby tank to the big bird cage. He has been here about a year and has almost finished his first molt of flights (one pair of clipped flights left). So he had limited flight for less than a year.

Dave this is not something that just started and I have no illusions on a quick fix. I searched the threads and the internet on biting to try and curb it and didn't say anything until it escalated into something I knew just wasn't getting better and he was going for heads and faces Honestly I figured we were entering the "terrible two's" early.

What your saying makes sense. In human terms he crossed the line and we are past the point of time out and its now time for some serious grounding and earning back privileges. We need to show him that by not biting, playing with us gently and stepping up is how he earns out of cage time and time with us.

He is in his cage now and alternates between being pretty pissed of (screaming, pathetic chirping, chewing up his rope perches and trying to chew his way out), beating the snot out of everything hanging and tossing his foot toys around. He is holding his wings out, feathers tight to the body and shooting me dagger eyes. In his anger he even bit his toe a few times. He did eat a few bites of dinner so it doesn't look like he will stop eating out of anger. Other than stress plucking and not eating is there anything else we should watch for that would indicate that he is just to stressed out over being confined? We want him to be a good bird but not break his spirit.

Birdhouse we do praise him when ever he does something right. We talk and interact when he would play independently (oh boy, get the bells, whatcha got?) and anytime he would step up or do anything we asked to try and reinforce good behavior. We have always tried to ignore the bad behavior and praise the good. Up until the biting became constant it had worked.

Dave we don't want to give up and are willing to work to make this better. Rehoming is not an option I am willing to consider.

I never said anything about YOU rehoming your bird. What I was saying is that many other people have the same types of problems as you. But they decide to not to take the bull by the horn wind up losing control and give their birds away.

Dave & I are probably going to end up on totally opposite ends of the scale here. So, Dave, in advance, absolutely no disrespect intended.

My instinct is that Jake has no idea why he's being treated like this. There's no way for him to connect the dots the way you want him to. And there are a lot of ways his brand of logic can go horribly sideways. To me, what you're describing is traumatic & trauma leads to more issues.

Which is why I'm all about positive reinforcement. That means most everyone ends up relatively happy during any behavior modification. And no one's smiling now.

No disrespect to you guys either. You're there. I'm not. Just this approach worries me. You said your vet's a behavior expert who would be able to make recommendations based on observing everyone. So at this point I wish you'd consider riding it out until you see her.

Not to worry. No disrespect taken:o

I believe what Dave says is valid. I would also like to add that I have found great mood-altering power in regular sunlight. It kind of acts like birdy valium on my guys. It really mellows them out. Just 15 minutes a day, most days is all it takes. It is worth a try since you seem pretty upset.

"The Healing Power of Natural Sunlight: It is very common for birds to have a vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency that can lead to myriad health problems. Providing a sick bird with beneficial rays can lifts its mood and potentially remedy any deficiency that could have contributed to its health problems ... In sick birds, the light exposure helps in remeding any immediate need for vitamin D, as well as BOOSTING THE MOOD of a sick bird -- another important healing factor."

Try it!

Good luck

Just to make sure:

1) Is your bird getting good nutrition aka fresh fruits and vegetables, beans and grains? Hopefully organic? No processed foods, no dyes, etc.

2) Only allow your bird to land on you if it is invited and only then

3) I think it is important to go to the vet to be sure that a health problem is not the cause

Edited by chezron

There has been tons of good advice on things to try and curb the aggression. It is hard to say the least, in trying to help in tough situations like this sitting, reading and giving things to try. This type of behavior is so dynamic second to second and the actions and reactions by both bird and human cause equal and opposite reactions physically and emotionally that escalate it even more. The smallest bit of emotion or body language can be detected by a grey instantly and they will react to it. I am a person that can go from laughing to pissed off in 1 millisecond. So when I went through months 15 to around 36 with dayo and his aggressive, most times I would need to just walk away or go outside when he delivered a blood letting bite. I learned quickly that if I did not exit stage left or just ignore him that this aggression would escalate in proportion in my emotions. It took months for me to keep my anger pushed down and react by reason and talking to Dayo in a neutral voice.

So my best advice to you, is to take everything in to consideration that has been written here and try it. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

I look forward to hearing what you have tried and how each method worked over time.

Edited by danmcq

Okay, here is my advice......my vet & I have seen this work on many occasions.....Take Jake out for a daily car ride. It has curbed lots of behavior problems in a few greys like magic. I am not saying this will work for sure, but its definitely worth a try.

Of course there are many different ways to deal with biting. I have a re-homed zon that I deal with differently. Louie is a biter. I can't touch him without him trying to bite me. As long as I do not touch Louie and let him do the touching he is fine. We have learned to deal with each other. I do use tone of voice to get my point across. I do not pretend that a bite does not hurt. How else would he learn that biting is not acceptable if I were to pretend it didn't hurt. I do shake my finger at Louie and raise my voice and he knows I am not pleased with his attitude. He knows when I have had enough and then complies with what I ask. The important thing is to see that your parrot knows what you want him to do and what is expected. I gesture with my hands and movements so that Louie knows and can see what I expect from him. Yes sometimes Louie is stubborn but I am more stubborn than him and with voice changes he finally realizes that the jig is up and he will comply. Louie is a very loving parrot and tries very hard to do what I ask. I can see in his eyes that he is trying to get along with me, as I am with him.

Parrots like people have different personalities and have gone through different situations. To get along, you must try different things to see what works for both of you.

Edited by luvparrots

Luvparrots, that is great advice as that is exactly how I handle Nilah. I think that is the only way to handle an amazon, my greys don't always seem to abide like my amazon, they always seem to want the last word...:)

Edited by Talon

Jake was never a biter until this started. He was always a run or fly off kind of guy unless I was trying to get him to do something he didn't want to do, then he would just hold on and refuse to budge.

When I was a kid and had gotten into big trouble my father would always preface my punishment by saying "this hurts me a lot more than it will hurt you". He was right. This is hard. I know Jake wants out so bad. He is begging, making the let me out please pathetic chirp and running his beak across the bars of his cage. We let him out once for poops when we got home which he did and then flew to my partner and bit an ear. Back into the cage he went. We let him out again for dinner about an hour later and after that I took him into my room, a place he rarely goes, and we had some play time with foot toys and he did a few laps around the room. Then we worked on step ups with treats and lots of praise. I got a nip but neither of us were bit. He isn't just begging for out though. In between begging episodes he is playing with his toys, playing bat bird, rooting around for treats and interacting with us. He does have my number though. I have been trying to teach this stinker animal noises since he came home almost a year ago and today he decided to not only moo for the cow but quack for the duck.

It sounds like a productive afternoon. I know the heart strings being pulled when they are caged and begging to be let out. The bedroom sounds like the perfect neutral place and it worked for you and Jake. Perhaps that is where some quick progress can be made. The animal sounds are interesting in that he seemed to use them to pull your heart strings even more. They are such STINKERS! :)

I will be referring to my U2 but i must admit we were at our witts end with the biting. We tried everything and our very last hope for peace was the wing trim. I strongly believe that all his new freedom when coming here threw him for a loop. Clipping him, even slightly as we did, was more tramatic for me than him. The random freak flight that brought on the bites has stopped, even his screaming has decreased. He seems more content and comfortable. I cried my head off when we did the clip but now i can't believe we waited all these months to do it. All my guys are free flighted, well those that can fly, Gus will get his wings back too but only when he is mentally ready! Best of luck to you in your journey and do only what feels right for you and your family!

I have to say, as much as I am against wing clipping, sometimes it is called for as in your case. I believe they can become overstimulated in their new found freedom, and can't handle it and become out of control.

Wingy, I am curious, do you work on training Jake to do things? certain tricks, or behaviors?

DO you cover Jake at night and allow him 12 hours sleep time?

Edited by Talon

He haven't done any training on tricks. We were working on him flying to us and next I wanted to have him fly home (to the cage) on command. After this I wonder if clicker training might be beneficial. I don't cover Jake, I tried it once and he freaked out, but he does have plenty of opportunity to sleep. We all usually go to bed between 8 and 9pm. My partner and I are up for work between 3 and 5 am but we keep the lights off and are quiet (mornings are get dressed, give Jake new food/water, turn on the radio and go out the door) and the room Jake is in stays very dim until 11am. My neighbor tells me that Jake chatters away from about 9am until 11ish and then is quiet until we get home.

Tonight he made it 30 minutes before he bit and went back into the cage. Every additional minute between bites is progress. He is working on digging an almond out of a Kong now and could care less that he is in the cage.

Today Jake lasted only a few minutes. We tried 4 different times. The first 2 didn't even last 1 step away from the cage, the 3rd he lasted 5 minutes. After the 3rd time back in his cage he became very agitated and upset. He wouldn't settle down and was frantic. We let him out again, coaxed him into the Pac-o-bird and I took him for a walk to the Dairy Queen. He seemed to like the outing. He whistled to all the teenagers he saw, the ladies in line before us and charmed the counter girl by asking "Whats goin on?" when she popped her head out the window to call for the next in line. We walked home and sat on the front steps for a bit where he saw seagulls and black birds flying over head. He tried whistling to them and gave me a "what the heck" look when they didn't answer him. He was calm when we came back in and he had some of his ice cream (100% carrot juice frozen in ice cube trays and run through a food chopper to make a slush) while sitting on my knee. Then back into the cage for bed time where he finally ate some of his dinner.

I have to say, something he is very good about is letting me put my hands in his cage. He is emptying his toy containers fairly quickly and I am able to use the food doors to get the foot toys he drops. He doesn't seem to mind a bit that I am invading his space.

I will be referring to my U2 but i must admit we were at our witts end with the biting. We tried everything and our very last hope for peace was the wing trim. I strongly believe that all his new freedom when coming here threw him for a loop. Clipping him, even slightly as we did, was more tramatic for me than him. The random freak flight that brought on the bites has stopped, even his screaming has decreased. He seems more content and comfortable. I cried my head off when we did the clip but now i can't believe we waited all these months to do it. All my guys are free flighted, well those that can fly, Gus will get his wings back too but only when he is mentally ready! Best of luck to you in your journey and do only what feels right for you and your family!

I know that giving him a clip would solve part of the problem but I really want to leave that for last. His biting isn't just when he flies at us, it is also when he is already on us so we would still have to tackle that part of the problem.