NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Really random & maybe not so good

birdhouse

My dish gloves were a little sticky when I picked them up. They'd actually lived long enough for the latex to be breaking down vs the usual little tiny hole they normally get in one finger. :P But I figured I could still get one more job out of them.

They felt fine when I started sudsing up the fids' cups. Then I went to dry the cups & found sticky prints all over everything I'd touch from the faucet on. Something like the residue tape leaves. A little heavier but not quite as sticky. It didn't wash off w/dish soap & elbow grease. I had to rub & rub w/a damp dry towel because I didn't dare use anything I would usually use for tape adhesive on the fids' cups.

Latex is perfectly safe in chewing gum. But I lab tech'd in a latex factory & they'll add all kinds of chemical fillers & stabilizers, depending on what type of use they're compounding for. No one should be eating most of that stuff. Trust me.

So maybe there's a new compound for latex gloves, now. I will say it seemed to work great up until now because they lasted pretty long. But I've never seen cured latex break down quite like this before. So I thought I'd just kind of mention it before someone else had as much fun as I had trying to rub it off everything in all this heat. :mad:

...although I have decided it was a perfect excuse to blow off my chores & go to the beach. :cool:

This is completely out of my knowledge zone. I guess because I'm a guy and don'y worry about my hands being soft. But, so far with all the lifetime of chemical exposures etc. to my hands, no leaks or holes have developed so far. :P

haaaaa! I didn't either until about 10 years ago. I noticed that my hands were looking about 20 years older than the rest of me. True though that men don't worry about it like women. My husband never wears gloves and he uses cleaning agents and does dishes all the time.

Admittedly, few of my gloves live long enough to die of natural causes. And it has only been warm by Houston standards. But it's hit 100 in the shade this week. So I guess I know better than to push it next time. But geez, what a rude surprise & a nasty mess!!

ps this is me ignoring you, Dan :P

I have a pair I use when bleaching items for washing that I have had for many years and have never had any problems with them, I also don't use them when doing dishes, I have a dishwasher but everyone knows you can't put everything in them but I hate using them when washing those pots and pans. So my hands look old, I am old and my hands have done some hard work so if it shows in my hands so be it.

I have had my yellow "rubber" gloves melt and deteriorate... come to think of it, it was when I lived in Houston I noticed it last. It seemed more like the fingers would stick together and I would notice when I tried to put them on so I would toss them. I'm not thinking it was the Houston heat because we have lived in hotter climates and because my kitchen is usually graced with AC. I wonder if there was a cleaning product readily available there that I haven't seen on this side of the Mississippi? Now that Dan chimed in, he has helped me tremendously. I can't say that in 35 years with David I have ever seen him wear a pair of gloves. So, I will ask if he thinks not wearing gloves had made his hands look old. If so, I will suggest he wears rubber gloves every time he does dishes and will award him the honor of being the new designated dish washer... If not... then he gets to do the dishes from now on since his hands are impervious. Works for me either way. LOL. Thanks Dan.

I am the dishwasher and do not use rubber gloves any more. Things like soft scrub and comet will make the rubber get sticky and soft. Rubber gloves sticking to your fingers feels disgusting. I doubt if I could use them now anyway. Jake "helps" me do dishes by standing on my arm while I wash and throwing the silverware back in the dish pan if he feels I have missed a spot. Sometimes he doesn't let me finish rinsing and grabs the silverware out of my hand and throws it back.

• Haha 1

This thread has given me the kind of laugh I have been missing for a little while. Jake is apparently related to David. He comes along while I am washing the dishes and tosses things in for me too. Just last night he dropped in a plastic dish from his lunch... with leftover Thai stir fry still in it.... after two days in a hot car. What an adorable little helper. Hahahahaha. LOL. If you have a visual of one of Gilbert's "head-down-beak-open-bull-rush" moves, you will recognize the reaction I felt stirring up, just for a second.