NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

What is she doing?

paleale

I only remember this noise from when she was very small after eating formula. Is she just really full? Also, her belly just started looking like this- with the fluff showing. Is she molting? I have found many small grey feathers on the floor and inside the bottom of her cage. :confused:

Thanks guys!

Edited:

UGH- Soooo sorry for the baby talk!

Edited by paleale
For sounding like a weirdo baby talker... lol

I think the chest area is just from molting/preening. The sound: she is asking for your fingers to feed her, that is sure. Did she just take a drink? Thought I saw some water dripping from her beak. She was rubbing like she had gotten some water in her nose.

I think the chest area is just from molting/preening. The sound: she is asking for your fingers to feed her, that is sure. Did she just take a drink? Thought I saw some water dripping from her beak. She was rubbing like she had gotten some water in her nose.

That is banana dripping from her beak. Lol Her favorite treat! Thank you for replying so fast... I was thinking she had food stuck or something!

Sunlight is very important to Greys. I think of it as Grey valium because it eases them by creating soothing hormones. Please try to provide your grey with at least 15 minutes of outside sunshine a day. You will be amazed by the results!!!

We all do "Baby Talk" to ours as well. :)

I truly miss that baby interaction and jack hammering when the beak is touched. That little baby growl is cute and is begging for more. :)

As Val said, keep an eye on those breast feathers. Normally even a heavy molt will not appear that mussed up. But, it could be due to perhaps a little stickiness from the meal?

Thanks for sharing that cute video. :)

Sunlight is very important to Greys. I think of it as Grey valium because it eases them by creating soothing hormones. Please try to provide your grey with at least 15 minutes of outside sunshine a day. You will be amazed by the results!!!

She has an avian light on throughout the day as well as two windows and we take her outside in her travel cage almost daily. I do think she's getting enough light.

Interesting about the light...we were at the vet yesterday with our other bird and I asked her recommendation about using an avian light on my Grey. She made a short cone shape motion with her hand and said if your bird will sit within this radius of the light...they work, otherwise they're useless. She said bang for the buck, you need to provide them some outside light if you can. More reason I need to get on the ball with my outdoor enclosure. Light through a window was a another 'not good enough'. I guess it filters too much UVA/B

Btw...we've been to four different 'avian' vets in this area and this is the first one that I can tell know birds and knows them well. She's a bird owner herself. I pretty much trust she knows what she's talking about - I sure don't.

Hi Sterling - Just an FYI on Avian light. Whether a bird sits under it for most of the day on a perch in their favorite spot or goes outside the "Cone" as your avian described. It is better than nothing and is very beneficial. That "Cone expands exponentially the instant it is outside the reflector area and extends to and past the edges of the cage. The most important thing is the light placed over your bird and between 12 to 18 inches above their head when on their favorite roosting spot.

Nothing is better than outdoor sun. But, some people never take their birds outside or in the winter when it is too cold, there needs to be a light source that provides UVA and UVB for the birds. It is needed for vitamin D3 production and when D3 is present in the blood stream, calcium will be absorbed. With out D3 and no calcium being absorbed equals a grey having seizures and dies or has significant decrease in skeletal strength. Greys are notorious for low calcium levels.

Not to put words or thoughts in your avian vets mouth, but many assume a bird is being fed pellets that contain D3 and calcium amongst several other vitamins, proteins and minerals etc. and that the bird is consuming enough of them to maintain correct levels of them. Many times this is not the case.

Just an fyi, I do not mean in any way that this avian vet is not stellar in all aspects.

Edited by danmcq

paleale... Loved the video! LOVED the baby talk too! NEVER give that up. You are reassuring her, and she is responding. Demonstrating " rooting", which babies do. You're the mama bird, looking for some food! Try a spoonful of oatmeal, or check with your birdstore to provide some suggestions for mixed formula. Always provide the oral satisfaction as long as they need it. It took Kiki around nine months to get off of mixed formula. I believe in satisfying the oral stage as long as they need it, but also introducing fresh fruits and veggies.Kiki our Amazon, took forever to get off the spoonful of feedings, but eventually weaned her. She also became the best eater, first tester of all new foods.

As far as loosing down, your baby is young. She's not chewing. Don't obscess about it and focus on her oral needs and beak satisfaction. Nancy