NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Plucking and plucking and plucking

turzzock

So Harley was a hand-fed baby when we got him (I was in Afghanistan at the time and my wife and daughter surprised me with him). A couple weeks after they brought him home, he got croup burn. They rushed him to the bird vet in Tucson and two surgeries later he seemed okay. He was happy and healthy and would go to anyone to be held and fussed over. My wife and daughter went to visit my son in Alaska when Harley was about 6 months old (I had left previously on a business trip and would return after they got back). They left him in the care of my daughter's boyfriend who seemed good with Harley. After they got home he wouldn't go to anyone but my daughter and started plucking and plucking. He'll screech if anyone goes near his cage except my daughter. He's plucked out all his chest feathers (starting at the croup), then worked his way to his neck and almost all of one wing. I've looked and looked on this forum, and I don't know if it's emotional plucking, an addiction from initially trying to pick at his stiches or if the boyfriend (ex) and his friends did something to upset him. Stress? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

So Harley has been plucking for almost a year and a half now? As, Janet asked, have you had the vet check him out?

After plucking for that long, there is a possibility it has become chronic plucking. I hope not. Do you bath him often and mist with 100% Aloe Juice 2 or 3 times a week, especially in that plucked and irritated area?

He has been to the vet, and they did not notice anything medically wrong with him. He hates baths but we're going to try the aloe misting with him. Unlike Ruby the Eclectus, who jumps in the sink and flaps her wings until I turn on the sprayer for her to bathe.

I have no doubt Harley will object. Most greys hate water, unless it is their idea. But, they really need a bath/Misting 2 to 3 times a week, especially with Aloe Juice on that plucked area. You will probably need to do it in his cage unless he allows you to do so outside of it.

I thought the aloe needed to be mixed with part water also? If not i will have to try this. I have heard that if you mist them daily there are some people that have had great success with plucking by just spraying them daily. Whether they like it or not. I am just always concerned that i become the hated one if i do this daily though

I thought the aloe needed to be mixed with part water also?

Hello Carolz, no you spray the 100 % Aloe Juice undiluted. You can pre-bathe/Mist/Shower with water (which I do) to remove loose dander first. Then spray with the Aloe Juice.

Make the spray fall over them from above it is much less threatening, you might also want to find some Bach Flower Rescue Remedy to put on his food. Did your Vet run any blood work? Some toys especially bells can have a part that is made of a toxic metal such as zinc or lead and that can certainly be one of the causes of plucking especially if it starts at the crop area. Sometimes an Xray can show the metal fragments.

Mine could not find anything in the blood work all is well and good just don't understand why they start these bad destructive behavior, especially when you try so hard to be a good bird mommy. Very frustrating. sigh!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, after Harley's bath, we've been misting him with the 100% aloe juice. He doesn't like it at all, but he seems to have stopped picking. :crosses fingers: And he seems very interested in our new girl Cheyenne. We introduced them and now they have their homes side by side. Maybe he'll be more interested in her and stop the destructive behavior.

So after reading another thread about plucking on here, I read that someone else was having good results with twice-a-day baths. He absurdly acts like he is dying... and the rest of the flock seem to think sympathy squawking is necessary. But we are seeing results already. New feathers covering his neck and new down on his chest and shoulders. This forum is great. Thank you all for your advice and support.

I don't want to be a downer, here. And I'm not saying this isn't encouraging because it really is. But it's a little soon to get more than cautiously optimistic. That's part of the frustration w/a plucker unfortunately. So if you haven't already been to the vet, it would still be a good idea to ask for that blood panel, for instance.

It would be unusual for Harley to just stop this quickly after plucking for a 1 1/2 yr. Cheyenne may be a magical distraction & the aloe baths may be doing that great thing they do. I really really hope you get that lucky.

But it only takes a couple of hours to undo many months of progress & it is heartbreaking (she said from experience because Kura is a seasonal barber). So it still might be a good idea to continue anything that works & the full drill to try to isolate the cause(s) if you're fortunate enough to find them.

I disagree. A positive influence in a birds life, can make all the difference! Cheyenne sounds like a very positive distraction! Birds chew their feathers due to boredom or frustration!All the other treatments may help, but don't solve the original problem. " listen" to your bird, and they will let you know what is wrong. Nancy