NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Prioritizing lab tests

Tyson'sMom

I just took Tyson to the avian vet for the first time since I adopted him. This is my first experience with this particular vet. They have given me a list of the wellness tests they want to run. The total cost of all of these tests at the same time would be about $650, which I can't afford. I plan to get one or two done at a time on subsequent visits instead.

Which of these tests should be done first? Are they all mandatory? If not, which aren't? Here's the list:

Avian Comp Profile+BA (resting)+PEP

Fecal Grams Stain & Cytology

Chlamydophila PCR Swab

Bornavirus (PDD) Test

They also charge additional "specimen collection and process fees" for a couple of these tests, is that normal?

Thanks!

Edited by Dave007
  • Haha 1

I just took Tyson to the avian vet for the first time since I adopted him. This is my first experience with this particular vet. They have given me a list of the wellness tests they want to run. The total cost of all of these tests at the same time would be about $650' date=' which I can't afford. I plan to get one or two done at a time on subsequent visits instead.

Which of these tests should be done first? Are they all mandatory? If not, which aren't? Here's the list:

Avian Comp Profile+BA (resting)+PEP

Fecal Grams Stain & Cytology

Chlamydophila PCR Swab

Bornavirus (PDD) Test

They also charge additional "specimen collection and process fees" for a couple of these tests, is that normal?

Thanks![/quote']

All of the above tests are normal during a during a *well* check that's done on a preowned bird and they're also done on weaned chicks that's in a contract with a seller. If there's a problem with a weaned chick the potential buyer can follow the contract rules and get a new bird, refund, immediate exchange or warranty. The seller is the one that makes his/her own contract. It may contain some of the above or may not. There's no specific rules on contracts. This is why buying a weaned baby is important. Some tests can't be done until the bird is weaned. To get back to your questions---

As I said, the tests are normal. The price is what that particular vet charges Another vet may charge less or more. It's up to the vet.

*They also charge additional "specimen collection and process fees" for a couple of these tests, is that normal? ***

That has to do with any items that were taken from the bird in order to test it. Examples----feces or-items that a bird is spitting up matter when constant gaging is present which is the reason for going to a vet. In your situation none of that was going on. Some vets charge for doing that. Others don't. It's up to the vet.

I can't help you with which ones are important. They cost is about what it cost for them at my vets. Although mine doesn't charge a collection fee. I would be interested in the results when you have them done. I had a slight disagreement with my vet about the infections he kept saying my two had. So would like to hear about others who have those tests done.

I feel bad every time someone posts this type of thread. There's no doubt a new parront can get sticker shock at the vet. But no one can tell you whats really necessary from a distance. We aren't vets or familiar w/your bird & would never want anything bad to happen because we made any suggestion. Did you discuss it w/the vet to see where they think the priorities should be?

Also, if you have more than one avian vet available to you, you could make some calls & ask what they routinely suggest for their patients' initial visit & a detailed list of prices. If their normal check list doesn't match up, then maybe ask your vet why, specifically, they're recommending something different. Then follow up w/some research about the disease/condition targeted so you can make the best possible decisions.

If the prices seem out of line, you may have to decide if you should change or if the current vet is worth the extra bucks. A better rep, more modern facility &/or services might cost more but could also be a better investment in the long run. But unfortunately, at some point it comes down to trial & error. Not the funnest part of being a parront. Good luck.

As others have so well said. Do your homework and get feedback from others you may know that have gone to avian vets in your area.

My first vet visit was with a well known avian vet that was familiar believe it or not with our breeders. That little bit of knowledge gave her an idea of what to do on this first wellness check. He took a poop sample, weighed him, gave him a close physical exam and it was done. If a bird is healthy and fit when your visiting at the breeders and is also after you bring them home, most the time and I stress "Most", minimal tests are required.

The first visit at least establishes a baseline and familiarity with the vet and bird. Should anything arise down the road, they already have information and records on your bird.