NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Great video to demonstrate the VALUE of Positive re-inforcement towards our parrots.

lovethatgrey

That was a very good video. It was a win-win for both the parrot and child. They learned neither was truly the threat and scary creature they thought the other was. Teaching a young child to analyze and overcome behaviors in creatures like this will be a valuable tool the rest of their lives. Thanks for sharing this. :)

I enjoyed this video on many levels. The little boy was adorable and very mature. What a great way for a parent to educate their child. Also, I love Cape Parrots. They are on my list if I ever come down with MBS! Of course, the technique itself is good and shows that with patience, love. and positivity--much can be accomplished. Thanks for posting!

Excellent post on how to bond and reinforce positive results with treats.If I had known, when I got Gracie, I probably would have done the same, BUT when I got her, it was a quick deicision. We got Sophie to do the same thing with encouraging her to come out to us with family fun, she was missing out! I noticed the training was off bird playstand, which is a must! ( or door). NEVER try to get a bird to do anything off of inside of cage. Its their home, not yours, so keepout is the usual " rule" for us. Nancy

This type of positive reinforcement can be used to overcome so many types of problems & this vid is such a wonderful demonstration. Especially considering it worked so well & so quickly to correct an issue that involved a youngster.

Precious to watch that next generation learn the joys of bird keeping, too. :) Thanks for sharing this.

I noticed the training was off bird playstand, which is a must! ( or door). NEVER try to get a bird to do anything off of inside of cage. Its their home, not yours, so keepout ...
I just come from such a different place about this. I think working w/a difficult fid can often be easier away from their cage when there are territorial issues. But some, particularly certain rehabs, can become more insecure when they're taken (think "forced") out into the open & away from that safety & it can also make things more complicated.

I don't think this is always a one size fits all solution, as usual. Working w/a caged bird like on Days 1 & 2 in the vid, can have the tremendous added benefit of helping them feel more comfortable w/letting humans inside their home when it's approached in a positive way.

I'd also agree that a fid should feel like their cage is their special space. However, until they stop destroying perches & toys, are willing to clean up after themselves & get their own dinner, a cage needs to be maintained by willing minions. So it's important for a fid to learn to be kind & tolerate of those minions, at least most of the time.

They also need to be comfortable enough to make it as easy as possible to be handled in the cage in case of injury or emergency. It seems to make sense to me that a fid's conditioning should be "that's their house, their rules" but to a slightly limited extent. That way they're that much more adjusted & everyone's happier overall.

Edited by birdhouse

• 3 months later...