NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I need some local (US) advice

KevinD

I am really depressed, do not know what to do.

I was planning to come home at the end of the year. I was told by both Expat Americans and local Kuwait's that there was no problem bringing your parrot home.

I am pretty early planner, so I started doing some research on permits and shots and what not and found this.

ADVISORY: Until further notice, live avian commodities (including eggs for hatching) from the following countries or regions have been prohibited entry to the United States due to the presence of highly pathogenic avian influenza: Afghanistan, Albania, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cambodia, Djibouti, Egypt, Ghana, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Ivory Coast (Côte d'Ivoire), Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Laos, Macau, Malaysia, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Autonomous Territories, People's Republic of China, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, South Korea, South Sudan, Sudan, Taipei Chinese/Taiwan, Thailand, Togo, Turkey, Ukraine, and Vietnam.

Does anyone have any idea how long this will be in effect? I have not been able to find any answers on the web.

Hoping someone here has some experience .......so depressed argh... :(

Edited by KevinD

I know this is horrible news for you & I'm really sorry! But this flu is a serious threat & this isn't just red tape for a change.

Thinking you might get the best info if you can find a live contact at the USDA, since it's their rules. Local facilities aren't always current w/their info. Also, pets don't seem to be much of a priority given some of the past posts from members. Maybe, there's a way to transport thru another country's quarantine system. But that's probably going to be some additional stress for everyone as well as the time & money involved.

This type of thing moves very slowly. Better to go on the assumption that nothing is going to change as quickly as you need it to & find a a way around it.

Also a good idea to follow the Rule of 3, in these cases. It's very, very easy to get wrong info, as you've already found out (that quarantine has been in place for a while). So don't stop w/the person who gives you the answer you want to hear. Keep asking until you've heard it from 3 different sources to be sure as possible that you won't get any more rude surprises. Good luck.

Thanks, Ill have a look.

We have a home in the Philippines, probably start looking into that. We will be splitting time between the States and the Philippines, but I really wanted to get her state side.

this is so sad but I admire your determination to get your baby back with you, I have know knowledge of these things as I'm in UK but look forward to hearing you are both back safe and sound, good luck

Thats the problem when wanting to travel with your birds. Especially coming back into the US. They have a 30 day quarantine mandatory. You probably would be returning before your grey got out of quarantine. Plus, if it is a wild caught grey, they would never let it in to begin with. Too bad, because it would be wonderful to be able to take your much loved grey traveling with you. :)

Plus, if it is a wild caught grey, they would never let it in to begin with.

Well, that matter is somewhat subjective, splitting hairs if you will. While I do not condone the practice, the fact of the matter is that I really do not know if she is wild caught or not. I know she was in distress, and I pulled her out.

She is banded and in this corner of the world, if you throw enough money at a problem, the problem goes away.

Sukei WILL be coming home one way or another because the alternative is not something I am willing to consider.

Thanks for the input.

When she gets back to the states she will have a whole family to be with for good. All responsible adults and visiting grandkids.

In my mind I am balancing what she will have to go through to get there, I think the short period of discomfort balanced against the potential 40 + years of a reliable home, care and comfort is something I can do for her, and in the end, she will be better off.

• Sad 1

Plus, if it is a wild caught grey, they would never let it in to begin with. :)

So far I've only seen distinctions for US or non-US vs domestic raised or wild caught birds. Have you found something else?

"Pet Birds The USDA defines pet birds as those that are imported for personal pleasure of their individual owners and are not intended for resale. Birds which the USDA defines as poultry, including doves and pigeons, are not considered pets and are imported under different rules.

General Requirements

All non-U.S. origin pet birds may be imported into the United States provided that the country of origin is not listed on the Advisory list..." [flu quarantine ref'd in OP]

"Fish and Wildlife Service Permit Information

In the United States, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) regulates the importation of birds protected by the Convention on International trade in Endangered Species (CITES) and the Wild Bird Conservation Act of 1992 (WBCA). These regulations are part of international conservation effort to protect exotic wild birds subject to trade. Most exotic pet birds including parrots, parakeets, macaws, lories, and cockatoos are affected by CITES and the WBCA. However, the budgerigar, cockatiel, and rosy-faced lovebirds are exempt.

According to the WBCA, in order to import a pet bird of non-U.S. origin into the United States, you must have continuously resided outside of the United States for at least one year. In addition, the WBCA limits the number of pet birds that can be imported to two birds per person, per year. All required WBCA and CITES permits must accompany the bird while in transit."

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/animals/nonus_pet_bird.shtml

I'm not getting the impression they care one way or the other about the wild caught issue (as usual :(). The big problem I think is the potential that any fid could be either infected or a carrier. The level of available vet technology in these countries tends to be fairly substandard, overall. And everyone is legitimately afraid of the potential for a global epidemic to spread.

Avian Flu. SARS now you got MERS that kills 60% of those infected. That is over here and it does not have anything to do with birds. I say the US should stop importing people (Tongue in Cheek) What are they going to do next, stop all international travel? Or domestic travel for that matter.

I say the US should stop importing people (Tongue in Cheek)

I been saying this for years and no tongue in cheek about it.

I think you better research and research some more for you have your work cut out for you to get her into the US but I admire your determination and hope it is possible.

I appreciate the sentiments, however I too am a cog in the "Government Machine" I can not really do anything beyond research at the moment for a work around.

I do not know how much longer I will be required to stay here. Unlike the actual military, we do not have a set time.

It will happen, one way or another. :)

Wow, talk about caught between a rock and a hard place. I LOVE your determination and your drive about not leaving her behnd. Please keep us updated on this. It is an important topic to have here. 6 months pronged. It is a learning experience for us all.

You have our support and prayers and wishes.