NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sophie's loose feather

If this is just a dinged up feather & if she's that freaked out, I'd just towel her. See what's going on w/the feather. Find out where it's damaged & if you can cut it back in any helpful way as long as it isn't a blood feather. That's assuming you aren't comfortable removing it entirely. Most people aren't because it can cause great injury to a fid unless it's done right.

If you don't want to towel her, can't actually help w/the problem or if it is a blood feather, then I'd take her in & let the vet handle it. You might also have a discussion w/them about how to pull a feather. It's a good skill to know because it can literally be a life saver if a bird breaks a blood feather (or 3 in Phenix' case :eek:). Once the feather shaft is removed, the ring of muscle around it collapses, simply closing off the blood vessel & shutting down the blood flow.

But just to say it again, it's also very tricky. Slippery, lots of blood, terrified, fighting mad fid & again, again, potential for injury. I hesitated to even mention it because it's certainly not something every parront can manage. But I do think it's something everyone should at least know about, just in case.

Edited by birdhouse

Good thoughts by Val.

If it's not bleeding, birds are the feather masters and will take care of a damaged feather just fine on their own. If it is bleeding, as Val said vet visit or if you know how to pull a shaft safely using needle nose or forceps close to the socket, pull it straight out and place a little flour or cornstarch in it and hold pressure and it will seal off rather quickly.

She was playing with my basket of shells which she isn't allowed to,started freaking out! I thought she cut her tongue or foot, Saw the limp feather her tongue and feet were fine!I'm chasing her...want to see.NO WAY! All the birds are freaking out, pups running after her concerned.Just goes to show me what can stress a grey can actually be a simple thing nancy