NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Breeder situation

M'sBabies

I have a baby Timneh that is still with the breeder. He was born early March. We were not planning on picking him up until late June early July. I have just spoken with my breeder and she has a family situation that will take her time for a while and has asked if we would be willing to take him now. I have never hand fed a bird but I am willing to do it. He is still on 1 to 2 feedings a day. He eats very well on his own. She has said that if we could not she would make sure that someone would care for him until he's ready. She has a wonderful reputation and I have spoken to many people who have gotten their birds from her and this has never happened in her 25+ year history. I work from home so will be with him all the time. I have an avian vet and will be taking him right away. I guess my question is would it be better for him to be with us where someone is with him all the time or to stay with the breeder and have someone come in and care for him.

Edited by M'sBabies
My apologies, I put the wrong months for when we were picking him up.

I have a baby Timneh that is still with the breeder. He was born early March. We were not planning on picking him up until late June early July. I have just spoken with my breeder and she has a family situation that will take her time for a while and has asked if we would be willing to take him now. I have never hand fed a bird but I am willing to do it. He is still on 1 to 2 feedings a day. He eats very well on his own. She has said that if we could not she would make sure that someone would care for him until he's ready. She has a wonderful reputation and I have spoken to many people who have gotten their birds from her and this has never happened in her 25+ year history. I work from home so will be with him all the time. I have an avian vet and will be taking him right away. I guess my question is would it be better for him to be with us where someone is with him all the time or to stay with the breeder and have someone come in and care for him.

I think it would be safe for you to take the bird now since the bird is almost 4 mts old. Handfeeding a bird that old is very easy. All that's needed is a teaspoon and the formula. You should get the mixture of formula that was being used. Usually, the advice that's given about not taking a bird home applies to birds that are strictly being fed formula many times a day. Those birds are usually 6 to 10 weeks old.

You really shouldn't have any problems and people here can easily tell you how to spoon feed a bird although the only thing that has to be done is allow the bird to scrape off the formula from the spoon. Have a good time with your TAG.

Thank You very much. I will be picking him up on Friday. Very excited. I have had many animals and have hand fed my ferrets but the thought of hand feeding a bird wrong had my head spinning. I am much calmer now that I can feed him from a spoon. Thank You again and I will be posting updates and pictures.

I have one more question. I was planning on having him shipped but those plans changed and I will be driving to pick him up. An 11 hour trip. Again, not something I have ever done with a bird on such a long trip. I will stop to feed him of course but what should I have in his carrier besides water. I don't want him to get sick from being in the car.

I have one more question. I was planning on having him shipped but those plans changed and I will be driving to pick him up. An 11 hour trip. Again' date=' not something I have ever done with a bird on such a long trip. I will stop to feed him of course but what should I have in his carrier besides water. I don't want him to get sick from being in the car.[/quote']

You should have one perch set near the bottom of cage--about 4 inches. You should have a somewhat thick towel in the tray. As far as food, there should be a small bowl of water about 4/5 inches from the tray. You should have a small bowl filled up 1/2 way with dry parrot mix or pellets but honestly, don't expect him to eat anything until he's on steady ground. Most birds won't eat. If he does drink, it'll be a small amount. Don't put swinging toys in the cage because swinging movement can hit him and knock him off the perch. Put a piece of toilet cardbord in the bottom. Cut it in half. Even if you stop to feed him, don't be surprised if he doesn't eat. Parrots will eat only when they want to. If he's a nervous type bird that gets spooked at the smallest things, you can cover the cage but let him see the sights. Leave one area open. Keep the bird near you in case it starts rattling. 11 hrs is a lot driving. Make sure you have an energy drink. Don't stop and get drunk and then decide to go dancing.

• Haha 1

That is a long trip but splitting it up will help a lot, most birds travel well and the suggestions given by Dave are excellent, it will give the two of you some time to get used to one another and be something for you to remember, have a safe trip and have fun.

Well it's the countdown. I leave VERY early in the morning, pick him up tomorrow and we'll drive for a little bit. I have a list of hotels along the way that allow pets so when I feel he and I have had enough I will stop. He will be home by sometime Saturday and we are soo excited. Thank you again everyone for all of your advice.

We have traveled extensively with our two parrots on road trips of fifteen hours at a time. Dave's ideas are spot on and everyone has good advice for you. We put our rope perches right on lowest spot next to the grates. I like the booda comfort perch that is "four ways" but if I don't have one available, I just put two rope perches in the travel cage and use a heavy plastic zip tie to hold them in the middle. The idea is to have perches that he can grip facing any direction. Then they can choose to sit where the stop and start motion of the car doesn't jostle them off the perch or make them "seasick". Java gets car sick and vomits if she can see out a window. I raise the cages high enough to see out the window, then cover her cage all but the front so she can see forward only and that has kept her from getting sick. We do buckle the cage in and keep them in the back seat or turn off the passenger air bag if the car is so full one of them has to be in the front. They usually don't eat or drink on the trip. When I stop for gas, I will give them each an almond out of the shell so they could get a quick snack. Sometimes they will eat it. This will be a great memory for you. Don't be scared, you can handle anything that comes up along the way and can call your breeder if you see something you aren't sure about.