NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi all!

NOT A GREY

any tips on getting him to step up? he seems to like me so far....... I dont push him. he comes to me to be petted in his cage. but once the door opens he does his best to avoid me. climbs down and refuses to step up on my hand. he is nice about it....... do you think he just needs more time? it hasnt been very long I guess. I just think he does the bob thing for me and alows petting it would be nice to hold him.

OOOOOOO I think he loves me he was just making this trill sound and holding his wings odd while doing a little dance for me. I opened the cage and he stepped up. I brought him out and close to my chest he made little trill sounds :) awwwwwwwwwww I held him for a bit then put him back on a good note :)

LOVED the pics! Stepup is always on their terms, BUT we can control the reward! Snuggling as you did, let them see how happy we are that they came out. I think your new grey would respond well as he demonstrates good manners and a willingness to please. Also... give a tour of your home, describing things to him. First sign of nervousness, return him to his cage and thank him for an awesome time. Nancy

It seriously is baby steps. Don't rush things. Build trust and affection and things will happen. Forceful actions do not work. It seriously takes YEARS sometimes. This is not a bad thing, when you are sensitive and aware of small incremental changes that are positive it works out rather well. Later, when you look back, you will see the large amount of progress he (and you) have achieved. It is really a special process and it cannot be rushed.