NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather plucking

Noely

hi i have african grey which is 6mths old ive just come back from holidays and discovered he has plucked one feather out but on the end of the feather where it came from the body there is dried blood on it, my neighbour was feeding him for me while i was gone but he never put the radio on for him during the day so im just wondering did he do it out of boredom?? any ideas??:(

He probably banged the feather against something, probably when flapping/exercising his wings. The feather was probably one that's called a *blood feather*. When a feather is broken or cracked, it annoys the bird and he'll try to pull it out. When he does, there's a slight bit of blood stain left. If it was serious, you'd see a lot of blood over many feathers. If it's already stopped bleeding and it's just a stain of dried blood that you see, the problem is over and he's already healed.

i think your bird's a-ok, and it's probably just a knocked out blood feather like everyone else has said. i own a plucker and trust me, there'd be at least a few ripped out feathers, bald spots and raggedy plumage where he's been chewing if he was. THAT SAID, you should DEFINETLY start bathing that bird, or you will be risking him possibly starting a feather-plucking habit. it's normal not for him to like it, he's never really experienced it before, just remember to hold the sprayer down and away from him, squirting the water up into the air so it falls on him like rain. go slow and gradually, offering pelnty of praise, run some rainfall-like sounds while you do it (shower etc.), it might help.

good luck!