NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Who should care for Pearl while we're on vacation?

paleale

Our family has had 10 day vacation planned out of state for summer vacation for quite some time. We had arrangements with Pearl's breeder to care of her while we were away. The breeder has had some health problems and recently informed us she will be unable to care for Pearl. :(

Option 1- My mother in law comes over to our house nearly every day while my husband and I are at work. Occasional days, she's here all day with our young son. She has never touched Pearl or even opened up her cage door for her. Pearl does like her voice and listens intently when my mother in law approaches her cage. She likes my mother in law, but probably isn't sure enough to step up for her or let her touch. My mother is also willing to chip in and help with her, but Pearl is even more unsure of her- sometimes even flapping and making noises when my mother approaches the cage. Although they don't know each other that well, my mom would be happy to come over, open the door for her, feed her, clean her cage, etc.

Option 2- The local parrot supply store offers boarding. She will be in a room with other parrots and will have a TV on. They made it very clear she will not be let out of her cage.

So do I leave her home in her own house with her own toys and her own surroundings? Or... Do I send her off to the professionals in a strange surrounding? I will miss her very much and she's still just a baby. I fear coming home to a mad, plucked bare, grudge-filled little Grey. :eek: (If it makes a difference, she is still a "baby"- 7 months old.)

Wow, what a disappointment that your arrangements fell through! I'll let those with experience answer your question. As for me, I'd probably go with the "mothers." At least Pearl would be in familiar surroundings with people she knows anyway!

Wow, what a disappointment that your arrangements fell through! I'll let those with experience answer your question. As for me, I'd probably go with the "mothers." At least Pearl would be in familiar surroundings with people she knows anyway!

I was leaning towards the mothers too, Jamie. But! I am also no expert. :)

Another point I wanted to make is that neither of the mothers will be spending the night with her. I've also explained to them that if this is the decision we decide to make, Pearl will climb out of her door and back into her cage. I don't know if that's a good idea or not... If she decides to glide off her cage (she was clipped before I got her from the breeder), then they'll have the task of getting her back in. Decisions, decisions...

hANDS DOWN...mother-in-law. She already knows her, now it is time to develop the trust.Pearl will do just fine!I've done it all. Groomer took care of Sophie, left instructions she needed to be on the gym for general socializing. ( brought my toaster as well!) she wants toast every morning! Next thing I know when I got back... offers left for me to buy her. I didn't like that at all! Next... left her with Ryan's friend, as Sophie loved him. All went well, but she learned how to swear! Next, left her with a neighbor, that had an autistic child that she loved and trusted. Highly functional, and Sophie loved him! Parents were willing to supervise. The dad fell in love with Sophie. Whatever choice I make to take care of Sophie, she is always safe.She has got to stop making everyone fall in love with her! I get left with " broken hearts", along the way. Nancy

I think you already know which the best solutions is! LOL Is there time to get the two mother's some time with Pearl? Maybe have them give her treats. Have them change the water and feed Pearl. Maybe even handle her if there is time to train them. If not, she is still bette at home in my opinion.

Thank you, Nancy! You are always so reassuring. :)

I think you already know which the best solutions is! LOL Is there time to get the two mother's some time with Pearl? Maybe have them give her treats. Have them change the water and feed Pearl. Maybe even handle her if there is time to train them. If not, she is still bette at home in my opinion.

Hi Kelly! I think I already know too. Unfortunately we leave town around 12am on Friday, so there's not much time to train them. They will both be over for the rest of the week. I think having them (especially my mother in law) give her treats is a great idea. Grandmas love to spoil- maybe what I really need to worry about is coming home to a pudgy birdy. ;)

• Haha 1

Update!

My mother has done most of the babysitting and Pearl is doing great! My mom says she's chowing down, very talkative, and even stepping up and lowering her head for scratches. I'm so proud of her for being so sweet and very thankful for my mother's help with her. I appreciate the advice, everyone. We leave tomorrow from Gulf Shores and should be back late tomorrow evening. It was a nice vacation, but I'm ready to get home. :)

Pearl doesn't have an iPad or calendar (yet) to wistfully count off the days to your return. She and Grandma are having some bonding time and that will be a blessing in the long run. You are probably worrying and thinking about her and she is probably playing and talking and passing the time with naps and grandma time. Glad your vacation is going well for you and that you have been assured that Pearl is happy.