NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Apartment birds???

TinyTimneh

if i wanted another large bird but was considering something other than a grey what could i look into? only must-have is aprtment friendly.

also, are cockatoos honestly as needy as everyone makes them out to be or is it because we've spoiled these birds rotten so badly for so long that everyone thinks they can't be left alone?

Guest briansmum

cockatoos are wonderful loving birds but they do need a lot of attention.. they're a bit like puppies. they would be a great bird if you're looking for something more playful and cuddly than a grey.

how do you mean apartment friendly? as in, not a lot of space? in which case don't go for something as big as a macaw.

maybe an amazon or eclectus...

Some quiet birds good for apts/condos

--------------------------------------

White capped pionus

Dusky Pionus

Jenday Conure

Marroon Bellied Conures

Indian Ringneck Parakeets

Moustache Parakeets

Senegals

Red Bellied Jardinares

Vosmaeri Eclectus

Rosellas

White Bellied Caiques

Some loud birds that aren't good for apts/condos

-------------------------------------------------

All macaws

All Cockatoos

Quakers

Lovebirds

Sun Conures

Grand Eclectus<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/10/21 02:59

Yeah, Cockatoos can get really loud! I don't know a lot about Cockatoos, but from what I read and heard, they can be a bird that will need a lot of attention and patience. I would go with a Cockatiel or a parakeet. But, they also can make noise.

Guest briansmum

conures, while not large bird, can be very sweet loveing birds.. and even though they are noisey birds.. i personally dont think they're loudest squak is a patch on some of the noises that have escaped from brian :lol:

Not to play the devil's advocate, but my Jenday conure is incredibly loud all the time. He is very sweet but is constantly doing any number of annoying natural ear reverberating sounds.

My quitest bird is actually my solomon island eclectus. I think he would be perfect for an apt. because even when he talks, he is very quiet and low key. And they can also be very good talkers from about a year old. There are some very cute videos of an eclectus named Riley on Utube. Take a look...and good luck with whatever you decide on.

He he...I guess this thread really goes to show you that much is dependant upon the individual bird as well as the overall species. For instance, my male SI Eclectus, unlike in the message before me from Scrohan...is by far the loudest bird in our house. His squawk drives my other two crazy and always brings about a "SHUT UP" from my grey (which of course just reinforces him!). Then again, he doesn't speak even one word and he's 9 years old. My female SI Eclectus is the quietest bird I think I have ever met...but then again she's only been in the house for about a month. Her speaking and other vocalizations are very soft.

I have heard great things about the white belly caique...not only enormously fun and acrobatic, but relatively quiet "in relation to" other parrots.

Good luck! :-)

Lisa

Guest briansmum

i have seen the eclectus riley on youtube, he is such a chatter box!!! an eclectus was one of the birds i named in my first post

lol, well, i guess then there's no clear answer!

oh well lol... i guess this rules out that Galah cockatoo i was looking at (heard they're much quieter and more independant than the other species). i'm not worried about the twice daily loud periods at dawn and dusk because my grey and 'tiel do this already.

the electus i've thought about, but being that i think my grey was bullied by a big amazon for a while in his past i'm hestitant to bring another large green bird into the house. so that rules out the male. the females are beautiful but i've not heard good things about them personality wise, some people reporting that they can be aggressive even as little babies! i know sometimes the female can be more docile depending on the subspecies but i don't think the people at the pet store would even know what susbspecies the bird would be. hmmm... oh well... i'm not moving for a couple of months so i've got plenty of time to think about it!

I'm a mom to a Cockatoo Umbrella Crested since I was 6 years old while she was just 1 year old (she's 16 now), she is so lovable, friendly, cuddly and LOUD, yes very loud everyone complains about her screaming of joy that can break your ear drum! lol But I love her to bits! Cockatoo can be darlings but not apartment friendly.

I like the way MrSpock listed all these loud and quiet birds, it's very informative even for me, thank you!

all right, thanx guys, went to the local pet store and shopped around (a little dusky conure stole my heart but he was already sold!) i've come to the conclusion that another timneh is the best way to go, they're larger birds, quiet (relatively :P) and i love their quirky little personalities.

i suppose i should start another topic for this but anyway... regarding the 'tiel, he screams when i leave the room and as such is muucch louder than you'd ever expect a 'tiel to be! obviously i might not need to worry about a new bird's noise level if the 'tiel gets me kicked out of the apt. first!

the grey used to be like that until i was training a dog with seperation anxiety in the same room and i would close the door and leave for a bit and praise the dog when i returned if he was quiet. ironically it worked for the grey! he still will whistle to me when i open the door to leave but is quiet after that while the 'tiel continues to scream, what should i do?

Wring his little neck. I promise he will never scream again, and you could do the whole dead parrot routine from Monty Pythons flying circus.

Oh . . . . wait, are you looking for real solutions?

Dang - Hmmmmmm

Do you tell your birds that you are leaving to go to work?

This sounds a little goofy, but everytime I leave the room I tell my guys where I am going and how long i am going to be. If I leave the house I tell them where I am going and how long I am going for.

I think it gives them an idea of time, and the passage of time, and they can understand that. And plan their day around it.

Well I live in an apartment by myself with my 4 birds, I have a Sun Conure, a Senegal and my 2 Greys. My Sun is by far the loudest, and to be honest I'm still not sure why I haven't been evicted. Most of my neighbors are pretty cool and I've neevr had any complaints. Actually most of them say they like hearing the noises that the Greys will make.

I wouldn't get a cockatoo for an apartment at all, and I do think they're a bit needier from the ones I've met, but I still love them, just not for an apartment. I personally don't think a Grey is bad for an apartment, hell I have 2 of them LOL but then again if you get a screamer you might be in for it...I know the worst I get from my Greys is a microwave beeping...my neighbors probly think I eat all the time:laugh:

lol, hell my neighbours are probably under the impression i have a very big loud dog. Jacko barks (inside dog and outside dog), growls and whines. also he'd make a fantastic sound effects techie cuz he does a squeaky door noise everytime you reach for the doorknob! anyway yeah, i'm probably going to get another TAG... now comes the hard part, the waiting 'till i can :P. still debating whether to get a baby or a rescue, on one hand i'd like the experience of raisibng a grey and avoiding the feather issues, on the other hand i'm a big softie and love to help any creature in need (jacko's been frustrating but still very rewarding when i see him continue to grow and overcome his past with every day.)

How many times did you oil that door knob before you realized it was your Grey :P

I'm sure that destiny will help you in making your path clearer on rescuing or getting a baby grey.

Your neighbors are probably thinking your starting a mini-zoo :-)

I have owned a Citron Crested Cockatoo and a CAG.... And I would say that the CAG is more noisy than the Cockatoo.

The CAG starts singing/chirping 1st think in the morning, while my Cockatoo wouldn't say much more than Good morning, in the morning. THe CAG also sings right before bed.

lol, probably, i can't even begin to imagine what i spent on oil for that door... or how many calories i burned scrambling for that darn cellphone either... or how silly i felt when i looked over and realized what exactly was ringing(and it wasn't the phone lol)...

really, SFsailor? My 'tiel outscreams my TAG hands down... you should be thankful your too is so quiet:P

just thought of this, but if i get my new bird, obviously they're going to the vet... what should i get done test wise and how much will that cost me approx in canadian, anyone know?

• 9 months later...

I truly believe its up to the upbringing and your household for whats best for an apartment. Sure use the lists as a guideline but ive seen very loud tiels and budgies seem to make noise alll the time atleast in y experience. I have a TAG and an alexandrine and both were listed as noisy and i have an apartment which is very quiet building. yes the Alexandrine Tuago makes one annoying squak about 3-5 times a day but most of the time its just talking and lighter whistling.

my teil doesn't scream at all he does talk allot though its a constant pretty bird pretty pretty bird, whatcha doing pretty birdhello pretty pretty bird and so on but least he does it quietly. My very quyetest bird doesn't talk or scream and is the sweetest thing you ever want to know and she is a Fiery Sholdered conure. They are by far known as very quiet birds even the breeders love them because of their quietness