NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Emma's new behavior - Now what am I supposed to do?

DogsBirdsFish

Yesterday, when I took her out of the cage after I was out of the house for about five hours, she did something strange (to me anyway). I was expecting to sit down and start our 30 minute petty session. Instead of lowering her head she keep stretching her neck to get up to my face. So I initially thought she wanted to give me a kiss. Instead she started regurgitating her food and was trying to feed me (I think).

She was making all these strange sounds (cross of baby babbling and Pug dog snorts). She rocked back and forth and was spreading her wings. She was so cute but very serious and determined to get that yucky stuff in my mouth. I didn't know what to do, so I want along with it (bitter stuff; I hope I don't get sick). I didn't want to push her away for fear that I may hurt her feelings. I tried distracting her, but she would not stop. She reminded me of a doting, overbearing human mom. This went on for nearly 30 minutes.

Well it happened again first thing this morning. As soon as she stepped up on my finger she started to stretch up to my mouth. This time it lasted about 20 minutes. So I didn't need to make breakfast this morning.....

What is she doing, and more importantly, what should I do?

Edited by DogsBirdsFish

She has accepted you as her mate and is trying to feed you, this you want to discourage but it is that time of the year when hormones are at their peak. You should discontinue the petting sessions, only pet her on her head and avoid down the back, under the wings or anywhere around the tail area as they will only make her sexually frustrated. You need to redirect her attention elsewhere even if it means taking her back to her cage or to a playstand, tell her "thanks but no thanks" and walk away for a bit.

She has accepted you as her mate and is trying to feed you, this you want to discourage but it is that time of the year when hormones are at their peak. You should discontinue the petting sessions, only pet her on her head and avoid down the back, under the wings or anywhere around the tail area as they will only make her sexually frustrated. You need to redirect her attention elsewhere even if it means taking her back to her cage or to a playstand, tell her "thanks but no thanks" and walk away for a bit.

So I shouldn't schedule a wedding date at the local aviary church...LOL.

I wasn't sure if this was sexual. She wasn't rubbing any part on her body on me. When I do pet her, I have only been doing it on the head and neck.

We did just finish a short petting session. Luckily she didn't serve me brunch.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to do my best to get through this hormonal period without damaging our relationship.

Edited by DogsBirdsFish

My female is 7 years old and she can occasionally get in that mood but I discourage her and everything is fine, it shouldn't damage your relationship at all and if she does offer you her dinner just let her do it in your hand and say thank you, you do not want her touching the inside of your mouth for we carry bacteria that could make her very sick.

" I LOVE YOU!", is what she is saying. Many owners feel this is sexual, I don't. I have always accepted Sophie's regurg, as well as she does the same thing to my kids. We NEVER accept it in our mouth. We let her deliver it, into our hands.We thank her, and she is pleased. She DOES have mating feelings to my oldest Ryan, who now is in North Carolina going to college.They skype weekly. She is always excited! When he is home, falls asleep on the couch.... she will do a certain dance with his feet. I suspect it is a mating dance. When his girlfriend of five years is here, Sophie will sit between them. LOL! Nancy

• Haha 1

No, our Grey Dayo (male) will sometimes regurge for my wife. It has lessened over the years and has always been discourage by not responding to it and getting him to think about something else. When gone for hours as you describe, sometimes the first thing he will do is regurge upon sight of my wife. With a flock creature such as any bird, seperation is death to a bird or their mate. It is something deeply engrained in their mental functions to stay close at all times..