NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oklahoma

We have been relatively lucky in Tulsa, but Thursday night an EF-2 tornado destroyed a neighborhood and commercial center just 2 miles from my parents' house in Broken Arrow (no injuries thankfully). Usually Gracie and I go there during bad weather, but I decided not to that night. The funnel went right over their house before touching down. You just never know. My church is sending volunteers to the areas in Moore and OKC over the next few weeks. I hope to join the effort. It always helps when you can do something.

Edited by JeffNOK

WeatherEvents.net ‏@weather_events

Tragic news circulating that highly respected storm chasers Tim Samaras & Carl Young were killed in the El Reno OK tornado yesterday. :(

Higgins Storm Chasing

Heart breaking and tragic news for the storm chasing and weather community today with the sad loss of storm chasers Tim Samaras, his son Paul Samaras and Carl Young. Tim Samaras was a weather scientist with National Geographic and starred on the Discovery Channel's series Storm Chasers with team Twistex, his son Paul Samaras was a talented photographer and also starred alongside his father Tim and Carl Young was a meteorologist and also part of the Twistex team. It is believed their car was struck by the El Reno, Oklahoma rain wrapped EF3 tornado yesterday. Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and friends as we mourn this tragic loss with them. May they rest in peace and watch and protect us all from above.

Do keep in mind these people have added so much to our knowledge of how these storms build, form and move helping all of us be a little smarter and safer.

• Haha 1

^^^Think it's safe to say both. But the entire breed has contributed hugely towards understanding more about this phenomenon & are probably responsible for saving so many lives. Particularly Tim Samaras, which makes this even sadder.

The meteorologist was saying that those storms had such extreme rain that it blinded weather equipment from seeing where the tornadoes were. He said that it was quite possible to drive right into a funnel & never see it coming. Adding yet another horrifying fact to what I've learned about tornadoes in the past month.

Edited by birdhouse