NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need to spray for spiders!!

Cinnyminis

I have found 5 baby brown recluse spiders in my little kids' bedroom in the past two days. One was actually in bed with my 4 year old! I will be going out of town next Sunday and need to have someone come and spray. I cannot take any chances with these things, especially because the house I am in has had a problem with them before.

So, if Radar is with me, would it be safe to spray the house and leave for a week? Can I have someone spray that room with him in another part of the house? Is there anything safe a professional can use?

Beth

mom to Radar (8 months old)

and 7 humans.

Insecticide sprays that are powerful enough to eliminate Brown Recluse spiders are dangerous to pets and humans but especially birds. A you say your house has had a problem before with these spiders they could be hiding all over. So treating one room probably won't get rid of them. If I was you I would get everybody out and away until the job is done. Use a reputable pest control expert and take no chances with babies or birds.

Good luck.

Steve n Misty

We live in the south and since we have had our parrots, I have not allowed the pest control to spray inside. I just came inside from having the annual termite inspection and there were a few spider webs in the basement when the man was inspecting. He said he would recommend for them to come back out and do the inside of the house for spiders. I told him I am not comfortable with spraying inside with parrots and he said in the state of Georgia, they have to get all their chemicals certified that they will cause no harm to people and pets. I'm still not going to have them spray just yet, but let me tell you, I have seen the damage of a brown recluse spider on friends and now I am giving it some serious thought. You are taking some good precautions to be gone for a week.

I'm curious about this too. A couple of years ago, we had carpenter bees trying to destroy our front porch. To get rid of them, I signed a 3-month agreement with the pest control company. They sprayed inside and out (package deal). I have four cats, and the first time they were coming I called to ask what needed to be put away (i.e. cat's food, water, etc.) and how long the animals needed to be out. They said what they used was totally non-toxic to anything but insects and I didn't need to do anything. It worked very well and the cats certainly didn't seem affected. That said, it is very possible that birds are different since they are more sensitive. I've been thinking about calling and seeing if I can find out. My concern is that the people I talk to may not really "know" if you know what I mean. It was sure great to have a totally bug free house for 3 months! No spiders, no gnats, no anything that didn't belong.

Birds do have very sensitive respiratory systems and we do have to be extra careful of any chemicals used inside our homes. You are right Dee to question the exterminator's answer to your question for most times it is safe for dogs and cats but as said before birds are different, if you do decide to allow the spraying remove your birds from the house until its all clear just in case.

Thanks Judy, I do fully agree that even if I had it in writing, even if they had all the testing and safety assurances, getting the parrots completely out of the house would be the only way I would consider spraying inside. With that said, I do have some natural remedy spray that is avian vet recommended to me and even then I use it so sparingly that a quart spray bottle has lasted me for four years. Also in rooms that our birds never frequent, ever, I had some hang-tag bug repellant, also vet recommended. Now that I think of it, that is probably why there are some spider webs in the basement because they have not been changed in more than six months. Thanks for jogging my swiss cheese memory. Where any chemicals are concerned, I would definitely go with great caution and minimal use. With the brown recluse or other venomous spiders, it is one of those times where I would do whatever it takes and leave for as long as I could.

I have read that the insecticide sprays for brown recluse spiders are actually quite ineffective. I live in Oklahoma, and we have lots of these critters. Small traps are actually recommended over sprays. Traps are not a threat to your fids. I recommend you look into this option rather than spraying. Sprays kill the spiders that are in the rooms, but most brown recluse spiders live between walls and in rafters. It doesn't kill them. Since the spray kills all insects, the brown recluses come back afterwards to prey on the other dead insects. It is a never ending battle.

http://www.brown-recluse.com/traps.html

Edited by JeffNOK
  • Sad 1

If you go for the spraying (I understand if you do) I would make sure all cages, toys and food dishes were also out of the house. Maybe a neighbor or friend could store them for a week. I would be so afraid of some residue left on the cage or toys that the bird may chew on. Maybe I am over reacting, but that is what I would do.

I'm sure something eats them, but a brown recluse is a very nasty venomous thing, and I would guess most predators would stay clear. One bite from a brown recluse and almost any small animal would die. Humans die on occasion, and those that don't have deep wide scars caused by skin necrosis. The good thing is that brown recluse spiders are shy and avoid humans and activity. Bites happen when people step into shoes, reach into cabinets, or fail to shake their sheets out before putting them on the bed. Nearly every home in the Midwest has infestation if the construction is more than a few years old. I don't usually kill insects if I can avoid it, but when I see a Fiddle-back (another name) I don't hesitate. They are slow and dull and easy to squash. For every one you see, there are hundreds more in the walls and rafters. I'm getting creeped out just thinking about it. Thankfully I haven't seen one in several months. We have a truce at the moment.

Luvparrots, I was initially excited by the prospect of crickets deterring brown recluses. I did a quick google search and it seems that the cricket is actually part of the brown recluse diet in addition to roaches. I may need to do further research, but it seems bringing crickets in may actually increase spider activity. I watched a horrible video of a brown recluse gorging itself on a cricket. Maybe the crickets also eat the spiders, but I haven't seen that yet. More research warranted. I am almost wishing I had never read this thread. I'll be checking my shoes and shaking my sheets out tonight before bed!

Edited by JeffNOK

OOps, good thing we have a teacher on the Forums! Thanks for the correction Jeff!

I saw this: "The brown recluse is very soft bodied. It is easily preyed upon and has been observed being eaten by crickets and even other small spiders."

And figure a person would rather get some crickets instead of other spiders.

I look forward to your research as now I am curious.

Edited by luvparrots