NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

new to bathing

majd seffarini

I'm getting my african grey this week and I am soooooo excited ;) I have been reading a lot about taking good care of these amazing pets :P and I've read that they should take a bath every day so how do i get my african grey to take a bath and he's still not used to me and everything is new to him or should i wait until he gets familiar with me until i give him his first bath :confused::confused: I'm getting him 6 months old just old enough for him to eat on his own.:cool: and thx

They do not need a bath every day, just once or twice a week is sufficient, some will try to take one in their water bowl but if they don't you can give them one yourself with several methods described in the health room, here are the links:

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189753-Bathing-possible-method-1

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?189752-Bathing-possible-method-2

I would wait until he was more comfortable with you before I attempted a bath. My 2 greys HATE baths given to them, they behave like I am murdering them. So....I let them bath when they desire in a bowl of water...I don't belief in pushy the issue, they naturally will bath when they want in my opinion.

One of my greys likes to bathe. He never makes a fuss about it. The other 2 don't like baths so I have to do it but I really don't do it often. Maybe once a month unless there's a special problem comes up that requires them to get frequently wet.. They don't need lots of baths. That's a fallacy. If they really desired or nature required them to take frequent baths, they'd jump into the nearest water area available such as their water bowls. Also they like very cool water to bathe in.

Sophie our grey, HATES the bath. All of our other birds LOVE it! Sophie's idea of a bath, is to make a big mess with dogs water bowls! Once a month, she gets showered and boy, is she mad at me after. During her shower, she yells " NO ROM!" I apologize, but tell her she needs to get clean! She won't talk to me for 24 hours. I give her extra hugs and kisses, but she holds out.I guess I should feel guilty, but I don't. I give her a little more loving, but I don't get sucked up into the " guilt stage!" Hygiene is a fact of life. Nancy

I give Gracie a good soaking by misting her with a water bottle a couple times a week. She seems to enjoy it. I was lucky that the breeder misted her frequently before I brought her home, so the transition wasn't and. Good luck and keep us posted.