NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When to replace cage?

LisaM

I have been reading up on different cages (my latest parrot came with a cage that is probably okay but I think she should have a bigger one...but leaving her in her current one while she gets used to her new home). One of the benefits listed for stainless steel cages is that you never have to replace them. I guess the other cages seem pretty robust and I hadn't thought out when/how often they will need to be replaced. How do you know? One of them does seem to have the powdercoating (or whatever it is) wearing off a bit in the areas requiring daily poop scrubbing.

I love the aspect that stainless steel is easy to clean, etc., but they are significantly more expensive. I would love to hear from people who have one, or have had one, and hear the benefits as well as any "watch outs".

Thank you for your time and input.

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

The Powder coating coming off is one sign that you should consider replacing your cage in the near future. With the coating gone, rust will start occurring and can be hazardous to your Parrots health. Also, if any of the bars are spinnable by hand, it's time to re[place the cage.

Stainless Cages are definitely the longest lasting cages, but you also pay dearly for them as you indicate.

A well maintained Powder Coated cage can past decades if you maintain it properly.

They are not chipping or worn all the way down, but there are spots that look like they're fading or thinning a bit. The bars are in great shape.

The only maintenance I do is the regular cleaning. I use Oxyfresh (purchased at my local parrot supply stores and is what they use...i clean my whole house with it), or Enviroclens from The Birdcare Company online. Neither of them are supposed to be corrosive and are bird-safe.

Should I be doing something in addition to this to keep the coating in optimal condition?

Lisa

NO, what you are doing is great!! :-)

By not letting the Poo set and become corrosive and attach itself strongly to where you would need to scrub the heck out of it with something like a brillo pad or something else as gritty or more, you are extending the Powder Coating life.

The Cage sounds fine now that you clarified it more :-)

Thanks. I was hoping you might have some miracle product I hadn't heard of. :-) I had tried that "Cage Shield" stuff but didn't find it made much of a difference for me.

Anyone else with downsides to stainless steel (aside from initial cost)?