NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Fly away - not

Guest Terrapin9614

Guest Terrapin9614

I don`t own any kind of parrot, yet, though I`d love an African Grey but I`ve been doing my homework and there is one question I haven`t been able to get an answer to.

I have seen macaws at a theme park that flew round the park and returned to the stage. Also, this year at Lanzarote there were 2 greys that remained perched on the seawall every night outside the restaurant we frequented. What I`d like to know is, why didn`t they didn`t fly away?

The macaws may have been carefully trained (very carefully trained I guess!) and the greys may have had their wings clipped, but if I ever do get a parrot, I`d like to give it the freedom I have seen others get.

Has anyone any advice on this or can you direct me anywhere?

Kind of a hard thing to have batteries inside an animal.

The microchips used for ID, don`t have any power in them, thus they can`t send a signal. The magic wand used to ID an animal sends out a radio signal, which is picked up by the ID chip, converted to power, so that it can send out the return signal.

RFID is a similar process, designed for goods, and used like a bar code. Again, it requires a radio signal to power it.

Guest Deckerkain

so every so often to replace the worn out emitter batteries. Perhaps technology will be able to come up with something more permanent at some point in the future....

I`d like to put one on my kids so I can `follow` their whereabouts too!