NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

We Had a Tornado Warning!

Talon

I was working at my computer after work today,many my father called to tell me that the local news said my town was going to get hit by a tornado in 22 minutes....some called my kids and told them to come home. We packed up the birds in their travel cages, luckily I learned here from Nancy and Janet, that they should always be right next to their cages just in case......I was happy I listened to that advice. I packed them into their travel cages, put them in the basement, my kids got the parakeets, their cage, we carried downstairs, and my daughter put Piper into his travel cage. I grabbed some food, snacks and water. We gathered up the 3 cats, 2 dogs, blankets (our basement is cold) and cell phones, and a radio and batteries. We were told to stay in the basement for an hour till it was suppose to pass. We did..... The birds were great, they seems fine since we were there with them.

We came upstairs after and all was well. We had no tornado! But it was a great dry run and I was happy to have had the practice. Next time I will be more prepared, food and water, radio, batteries all packed in an emrgency bag that I can just grab and as Nancy says, not have to think and worry if you have everything.

Second time this month in this general area. They were worried again w/ last night's storms. This happened a couple of weeks ago, about 1/2 hr away.

vv language was a little excited vv

http://wbsm.com/confirmed-tornado-touches-down-in-stoughton-mass/

They don't even count on the EF(?) scale. But "we just don't have" anything like tornadoes anywhere near here. So I don't know what's going on but I hope it stops immediately! I have to admit, tornadoes kind of horrify me!

But glad to hear you didn't get anything more than a good drill, Penny.

Edited by birdhouse

I live in an area that is fairly prone to tornadoes. When I was about eight, one went right through our place and did quite a bit of damage. The problem is, when you have tornado warnings as frequently as we do, you get a little blase' about it. I would hope we would hear if one of the size and scope as these recent ones in TX and OK were to be coming this direction. I really need to be more prepared and pay more attention!

We have much better tools to aid us avoid getting caught unprepared. I suggest purchasing a weather radio that provides alerts or get a phone AP to do the same. Jeff Masters Tropical Weather Blog is a wonderful real time resource as well. bloggers there proveds many helpful links as well a radar screen captures and satellite views. Great to hear you are all safe Talon and getting a dry run practice is wonderful, no serious clean up after a dry run.