NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Raw Food Diet

Branden Cohen

Mmmmmmmm, does that come with Marinara or Alfredo sauce? :P

olive oil, white wine vinegar, sugar, oregano, salt, black pepper, chopped tomato, chopped onion, cubed provolone, strips of genoa salami and pepperoni sliced thin, pitted large black olives all combined with the pasta. ( this is my wife's recipe for tri pasta salad. Can be served warm or kept in fridge and eaten cold.

Danmcq, I will read more but feel that our cultural dietary norms are not health giving. We then superimpose our unhealthy eating habits upon our pets. Just look to the exponential rise in disease rates over the last few decades. If pellets, a cooked, processed, chemically laden, genetically modified food source, is going to be the main dietary recommendation from most experts and vets, than what is shared on this forum with regards to nutrition won't be of much benefit to me. Thus my desire to share this thread on the health benefits of a raw food diet. As I shared in my initial post, all animals in the wild only eat raw food.

I agree with you 100% Branden. Many of us here do not promote nor recommend a pellet diet. I personally and many others provide seed/nut mixes, fresh veggies, fruits, give a chicken thigh or drumstick bone, flax seed etc. just to name a few and put a few drips of Red Palm Oil on portions of it. The key I believe is to provide a bountiful and well rounded diet.

It seems direct questions and answers are probably the best route to go for you since as you say there are many threads in this forum on pellets etc. that some members feel are a must in their situations and abilities to provide lots of manually prepared foods like we are discussing here. :)

Edited by danmcq

Danmcq, I will read more but feel that our cultural dietary norms are not health giving. We then superimpose our unhealthy eating habits upon our pets. Just look to the exponential rise in disease rates over the last few decades. If pellets, a cooked, processed, chemically laden, genetically modified food source, is going to be the main dietary recommendation from most experts and vets, than what is shared on this forum with regards to nutrition won't be of much benefit to me. Thus my desire to share this thread on the health benefits of a raw food diet. As I shared in my initial post, all animals in the wild only eat raw food.

Most of the most healthy foods talked about here have to do with vegetbles, fruits, nuts plus certain items that are staples in the greys that live in the wild. Pellets are discussed but many people don't care for them. Others do. Vegetables, fruits, nuts, certain oils that are gotten in the wild provide all the health needs these birds need. Otherwise, the greys in the wild would be not be so healthy. There's a big difference in classification of outdoor wild birds. Predatory and prey birds. Predatory birds have a certain diet that they can easily get to. They don't eat vegetables. They eat when they want to and have very little difficulty with their digestion. Then you have the prey birds. Their eating habits are diferent. They eat on the run with others watching out for predatory animals. Find wild greys. Put out a large amount palm nuts on the ground and next to it, put out a large amount of the best organic prime raw meat you can find. You tell me---what's gonna get devoured very quickly??? Some will eat that prime meat --IF the palm nuts are totally gone BUT before touching that meat, the hungry ones will still try to see if there's even a smidgen of palm nut skin around. I don't know if you're referring to human or animal health issues. As far as birds, their life span has increased as new facts are discovered. The same thing applies to humans. Prey birds will eat in the trees on the trees and any other place that's safe. They're not to many rodents running around those trees and the birds couldn't catch them if they wanted to. Raw meat isn't so available in the trees either.

Edited by Dave007

I think those are wax worms in your salad. I do have some freeze dried mealworms I add to the birds diet on occasion.

WOW, I never thought of using Mealworms for our greys. Great food tip! I used to feed those to my fish sometimes back when I had 200 gallon aquariums around the house and was breeding Black Lace Angels

Please don't get distracted with the words "raw meat." I certainly know it doesn't grow on trees :) Instead, think of it as protein and fat in a very utilizable form. If they can eat bugs and grubs, I imagine they have the digestive process to assimilate animal protein. Though I don't profess to be an expert in this field. I can say my birds love it but it's also because they are used to raw ground and raw egg as their staple, supported by veggies, fruits and seeds and nuts.

Yes I exercise 4-5 days a week with a combination of yoga and hiking, some biking, Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, skiing in the winter, both cross country, and telemarking. The raw foods diet can cost a bit more and so will living longer :) However, it's been proven that the nutrition in organics are 3 to 4 times higher, thus the need for less food overall. We also support local organic sustainable farms here in Carbondale, which leads to a better environment. Also consider that medical expenses will be reduced as health improves. It's all about what a person wants to spend money on, we make choices everyday and spend money on non-essentials. What priority do we place on eating healthy? There's also the psychological benefits as my diet has led to me feeling better emotionally and greater productivity through having more energy. With a clear head, I can think better and make better choices in my life.

After reading your post, I wonder, do you drink alkaline water as well? That's all my family, flock and pets drink. I agree that the health benifits far outweigh any costs involved in the long run, you have to ask yourself....what's your health worth? People don't think twice about buying new cars and spending large sums of $$ on them,but spend more money on food or a water machine? No way they say! I can't afford that, but how do they put a price on their health?

I think those are wax worms in your salad. I do have some freze dried mealworms I add to the birds diet on occasion.

I am so glad you brought up meal worms. I have considered offering some live ones to Jake as part of a forage experience. My thought was to put some plain clay kitty litter on a sheet pan along with a few worms and dry grasses with seed heads and let him have at it. He does enjoy working for his food. I just don't know how fast those worms can move. How likely are they to escape? I have seen the freeze dried meal worms but I don't think they would be as stimulating as something that is moving OTOH I don't want worms squiggling in the carpet either.

Hmm. I wonder about the kitty clay litter, not sure that would be good for foraging. Maybe others will chime in about that.

I would love to get some additional ideas. I didn't think sand would work and wood shavings would fly around to easily. Timothy hay might work and is easy to find in the stores.