NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Beak Crack

VoHooman

Sorry guys I feel like I'm spamming here but is this a serious beak crack? Tooka is trusting me to touch his beak these days and while I was giving him a treat I suddenly noticed that this crack wasn't here before :|

These are his new pics:

IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6407.jpg

Here is his photoroom threat for any previous pics if you need them:

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/showthread.php?198856-Tooka-PhotoRoom

Thanks in advance guys.

t dies look lke he may have bumped it on something. They do shed layers of their beaks. MY grey has a section that is always chipping off near her nostrils and catches feathers. I think if he is eating fine and it doesnt seem to bother him, he should be fine. It shoud eventully grow out. I sm sure the experts here will chime in soon.

Like Talon said, they do shed the top layer of their beaks. The area above the crack is the older part that will be shed by your bird by scraping. The area below the beak is part of the new beak coming through. This will go on for a few years until it isn't noticable. One thing you shouldn't worry about is color. A very young bird has a shiny solid beak but as they get older, theyll scrape and scrape. Mostly it's the bird's way of cleaning the outer beak. As the bird does that, he'll lose that shiny black color and it'll be replaced with a scratchy medium grey color and that's the color that'll be permanent.

An example--

thCAUEPRPZ.jpg

Good luck with that VoHooman! I keep telling myself not to be paranoid, but every time he looks at my cross-eyed I'm looking at poop patterns and watching him like a "hawk." I suspect he thinks I'm insane ;) Seriously, I'd rather ask than wonder or let something go that needed attention.

Good luck with that VoHooman! I keep telling myself not to be paranoid, but every time he looks at my cross-eyed I'm looking at poop patterns and watching him like a "hawk." I suspect he thinks I'm insane ;) Seriously, I'd rather ask than wonder or let something go that needed attention.

I was thinking I'm like this because he is my first pet, anyway I'm trying to even enjoy being worried so I can enjoy having him in my company. :D

• Haha 1

Looks pretty normal to me and as the experts explained...beak grows like a human nail by layers. Its healthy to trim the beak every once in a while, as vet suggested. I did kookie's beak every 6 months. Looks good, short and healthy after a trim