NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello!

Hi everyone. We are Robin and Chris. We have adopted a grey named CJ. He is a rescued bird and is still getting used to us. From what we understand, he was abused in some manner, but we dont know what happened to him. We have had him for about 3 weeks and after week 1, he actually came to me and would sit on my shoulder. Now he wont come to either my husband or I, and tries to bite us everytime we put our arm up and ask him to step up. He especially goes after fingers.

He would pull his feathers out on his breast and his wings before we got him, since we have had him a few of them started growing back, but he pulled those out and a few of his tail feathers also.

We can't get him to bathe, much less try to take him out or off his cage with a towel. We tried to mist him with a bottle, which he promptly attacked his toys throwing them in his cage.

He whimpers and shakes and this breaks our heart, we are at a loss of what to do and everything we have read on the internet is not working.

Please, please help us, we want him to be a part of our family.

20130519_185245.jpg

Hello Robin and Chris and welcome to our family.

CJ is just starting to settle into his new home so be sure to give him plenty of time to do that, 3 weeks is not nearly enough time for him to unpack his bags and feel comfortable. It could take weeks or months before he feels comfortable enough to interact with you for you have to gain his trust so please don't try to rush things with him, let him come to you when he is ready to do so.

I know you hate to see him pluck his feathers but do not make any reaction to it as it can be interpreted as encouragement to keep doing it, just ignore it for now but has he been to see an avian vet for it could be a medical reason he is doing it but more than likely it is due to stress.

Just take things slow right now and allow him to feel safe and secure and he will eventually come around, do offer him treats from time to time and sit by his cage and talk to him for you would be surprised to know how much they understand.

He is a lovely fellow from the picture you included in your opening post and thanks for sharing it with us.

Hi Robin and Chris and welcome to the grey forum two both of you and your new companion CJ.

you may be trying too hard and too fast for your grey.

Take your time and sit by his cage and talk to read, sing or just sit by his cage. As you sit by his cage you could share snacks.

Remember he is in a strange place with new people different sights. He dose not know what just happened to him so give him time to settle in to his new home with new people.

He will come around when he is ready

Thank you so much for the replys. We were getting so concerned for him and his well being. He does take treats from us, and I have got him to give me a kiss and say I love you.

We want to take him to a vet, because we don't know when the last time he was seen by one. Do you have suggestions on how to get him to a travel cage? He completely freaks out at the sight of a towel.

Again thank you so much!

Hello and welcome Robin, Chris and CJ! As the others have said, you need to slow down and lower your expectations. It takes a long time (think months or years) for a rehome/rescue to trust you. That first week is what we call the "honeymoon" period. Then it seems like everything is moving backwards for awhile, just like you noticed. That is very common and is what happened to me. After the honeymoon week, for the first 2-3 months, I thought I had made a horrible mistake and Timber was doomed to be a "cage bird" with no interaction with us. I kept trying the suggestions given here, like speaking sofly to him, telling him what I was doing, whistling to him, opening his cage door and letting him come out on his own, sitting quietly by his cage and talking to him. touching his beak gently through the cage bars, and slowly he began coming around. It has been almost a year now, and we have developed a pretty good relationship. He will step up if he is out of the cage, and he looks forward to some head scratching at the end of the day as he sits on my arm. If you had told me we we get to this point in those first three months I had him, I wouldn't have believed it.

Hopefully someone with more experience will give you suggestions for getting him to the vet. If he seems healthy, you might want to give him more time to adjust before you stuff him in a carrier and take him somewhere he doesn't want to go. If you suspect any illness, that's another story. Timber still stays "mad" for a couple of weeks after a vet visit for nail trimming.

Welcome Robin, Chris and CJ. My three parrots are flighted and I do have one little stinker who does not like to go into his cage at night. When he is being ornery I just note where he is and turn off the lights and pick him up. In his cage he goes and we are both happy. Welcome to the Grey family!

Hi & Welcome. Please read the threads in the Rescue room. Katana600 will be very helpful during this time. As the others have said, it is way too early to do anything other than patience and caring and kindness. It took my Rikki 2 years to really settle in and become her ture selve, and she want abused, just shuffled from home to home.

In the beginning Gilbert did come to me and sit on my hand but then abruptly stopped. It could be that in that "honeymoon" phase he was trying to "be good" or he was getting closer to me to observe and figure out how to get one up on me. LOL. Just joking there. As far as the first vet visit, if you don't already have an avian vet, find one and visit yourself first without CJ. Mine said to wait about thirty days for the stress of the rehoming to settle down just a little. He said that the stress hormones are so high at that point that it will not be a good baseline for bloodwork. If you suspect something is wrong, of course that is different, but your own vet is the best person to turn to with that kind of advice. It is expected for CJ to be on red alert and fearful right now and the advice you have been given on this thread is spot on. I learned how to handle our rehome from this forum. We have what we call grey time, it is different than any other human or creature than you have encountered before now. Building trust is the main thing now and as you watch him, you will learn more how to approach him. The hardest thing I had to learn was sometimes doing "nothing" is what worked. Let him observe you all for a while. Walk past his cage, give him treats and let him make the next move. You will be rewarded for your patience.

Hi everyone. We are Robin and Chris. We have adopted a grey named CJ. He is a rescued bird and is still getting used to us. From what we understand, he was abused in some manner, but we dont know what happened to him. We have had him for about 3 weeks and after week 1, he actually came to me and would sit on my shoulder. Now he wont come to either my husband or I, and tries to bite us everytime we put our arm up and ask him to step up. He especially goes after fingers.

He would pull his feathers out on his breast and his wings before we got him, since we have had him a few of them started growing back, but he pulled those out and a few of his tail feathers also.

We can't get him to bathe, much less try to take him out or off his cage with a towel. We tried to mist him with a bottle, which he promptly attacked his toys throwing them in his cage.

He whimpers and shakes and this breaks our heart, we are at a loss of what to do and everything we have read on the internet is not working.

Please, please help us, we want him to be a part of our family.

[ATTACH]23975[/ATTACH]

My opinion is to hold off on that vet visit untl he's more used to you and the surroundings. If it's the feather pulling that's bothering you just know that so many birds do that in the beginning of moving into a new home especially adult birds. You've already said that he's easing up on that which is great. A new move causes nervousness. A move into a new area can cause angsiety. New people can make a bird frightened. Coming from a bad situation doesn't help either. Let him go in and out of his cage when he wants to. When he'sout offer nuts which is a favorite food. Don't worry about him going on you or the hubby. Do things around him and let him see what you're doing. Greys are very interested in getting into the mix. I give these reasons because of something you said about grabbing him. Most birds will take to one method as opposed to another. You've tried different methods and it won't work. Basically, your brd will have to be on the floor so he can be grabbed with a towel. Both you and hubby will have to do this. He'll scream, growl, try to nip. That's not unusual. You'll put him in a cage. ( small if you hve one). Go to the vet and let the vet become the *bad guy*. They know how to handle aggressive birds. When coming home, have the regular cage door open and he'll jump right into it. He's gonna stay angry for a few days. Try these things out and tell us what's happened.

Thanks again everyone! We have backed off and have been sitting by his cage and trying to reassure him. He has let us scratch his head and he really seems to like that. He also will give us kisses, especially before bed.

Since the first day CJ came to live with us, we have left the door to his cage open, so he could come out when he wants to.

What is your opinion on covering him at night? We tried it for a couple nights but it was clear he didn't like it. His last owner didn't cover him. She was his rescuer and gave him to us when she left the country to go to school.

From all your comments, we have decided to wait on taking him to a vet.

Thank you all!!

I do not cover my flock but they have their own room(s) so its easier. There was a time in the begining we thought they needed the cover but they told us really quickly that was not what they wanted! Lol My best advise for you is to listen to your new baby, words or not, he will tell you what he needs! I was given that advise over a year ago from a member on this forum and it was the best thing i could have heard!