NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello everybody...

So cool I came across this forum as my new baby grey is comming home in a week or two depending on how he/she is coming along. Have yet to name him. This seems like a great place to come for imput ect. It feels like I am waiting for a human baby to come home. I have the cage & a really nice playstand (comming wednesday). Toys comming Tue. The lil bugger is on his way to being spoiled already!! I am soooo excited.

Hello Mema and welcome to our family.

Is this your first grey, first parrot?

The waiting is always the worst part but it looks like you have everything ready for the arrival and yes you will come to love and cherish this bird as if it was a human child, that's how much they mean to us.

If you have some pictures of your new baby you would share with us we would love to see them.

Hi Mema, welcome to the Grey family. I so remember your excitement before my first grey came home. The waiting is such a killer. I found this forum about 3 months before my Ana Grey came home and learned oodles so enjoy and ask all the questions you want.

Thank you everyone for your warm wish's. Yes this is my first grey, but I had a friend back home who had one so I am somewhat familiar with what I need to do, Her's wasn't a baby however. I am a lil nervous as it is a baby coming home soon, but we will learn together.

• 4 weeks later...

STILL haven't gotten my baby yet..I call the breeder & he says the bird hasnt fleged yet and is down to one feeding. I gave him a deposit & hope all is legit..lol he has a facebook page and website page and seems GREAT as he won't let the bird come home untill fully weaned which from what I see on here is the way to go. I am trying to be patient thou.

Regardless of a breeder's claims that a bird is fully weaned, they really aren't until they are nearly a year old. You will still need to guide your baby in what is good and safe to eat. So be prepared to teach by demonstration. In rehabilitating an 8-month-old CAG (now 4 1/2 years old) who arrived eating only sunflower seeds, I found that the best way to get him eating other foods was to sit down with him and eat a very similar meal (chopped veggies and fruit, along with birdy bread) and prove to him that it was good and safe (plan on making "yummy" noises while eating.) Don't share from your own dish, but offer him a separate bowl/dish with the same foods in it.

Feeding Greys is a great way to get yourself eating healthier, too. :D

BTW, one important piece of equipment is a digital scale (postal scale size) for frequent weighings to ensure that your baby is maintaining his/her weight once you have him/her at home. Be sure to find a good avian vet and get your bird examined asap after homecoming (aka "new bird examination").

• Haha 1

*****Regardless of a breeder's claims that a bird is fully weaned, they really aren't until they are nearly a year old.******

The word *weaned* means the the bird is off formula and eating solid foods and is ready to go home with the buyer.

*****You will still need to guide your baby in what is good and safe to eat.*****

Weaning has nothing to do with correcting or changing a bird's diet.

Edited by Dave007

Mema, I am sorry you are having to wait. But, it will be wonderful when your baby does arrive. When s/he first gets home I would plan on giving some warm, comfort feedings for a few days. Esp. in the evening. These can be fed with a spoon. Warm oatmeal - not flavored - no sugar, but a little cinnamon is good. This might help the baby feel calmer after the stress of coming home.