NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question

itsjustnikki

I have the daunting task of buying a new cage for Tango. Unfortunately I found a couple of rust spots starting to form in the pull out tray of his current cage.

I would love to get him a stainless steel cage, but really can't afford to spend that much at the moment. I started looking at cages online and immediately became overwhelmed. I hate that I can't physically see them before I buy it, but such is life.

I was hoping to get some recommendations to narrow down my search. Thanks!

Nikki and Tango!

If it is just on the pull out tray you can either try replacing the tray or if your cage has a grate you could have a new tray made from the specs of your current one. At the very least you can clean it well and cover the spots.

IF the rust is confined to the tray only and your baby has no access to it, you can paint it with Rustrolium or Krylon child safe paint. Sand clean touch up with paint rinse with cold water and let air dry till there is no odor...

Unfortunately he has access to the tray because I don't have a grate (he likes to forage.) It means I have to do more work by changing his papers more frequently, but I don't mind because he seems to enjoy it.

After I noticed that spot I inspected the rest of the cage and found a couple of other spots where the paint is missing on his door. I would prefer not to take any chances with Tango coming in contact with anything that could be toxic.

I've been to jungle Junction a couple of times and they have a small selection. My boyfriend and I have discussed it and decided that we are going to spring for a permanent cage (aka stainless or aluminum) So now I am just wondering if anyone here has a kings cage and if they like it. Tango has one for his travel cage and I like it but he isn't in it for long periods of time.

Right now I have it narrowed down to these:

http://www.mybirdstore.com/product.cgi?group=238205&product=238207

or

http://www.kingscages.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=ACP3325

Edited by itsjustnikki

I didn't even notice the height part. But over the course of the evening I think we have decided on stainless steel. My boyfriend says that since Mr. Tango likes to use his beak on the bars of the cage he could et the anodized coating off the aluminum eventually. So I didn't buy that top cage yet because I'm super ocd about making a decision and have to make sure I do all the research I possibly can. I called the store near my house, they only have 1 stainless steel cage in stock that is close to the size I need and it is a dome top :( boo and much more expensive than the one from Bird Paradise.

It seems as though this might be the best cage and deal out there. I just hope that it isn't too good to be true.

I just looked at the top one. IMO, 23 is too small for a grey. BY the time you put perches, toys, etc. it will be quite small. I wouldn't buy anything under 32". All mine are macaw size cages, as I work and they have to spend 8 hours in them on most days. I have had my cages for going on 8 years, no chipping or cracking.

If price is an issue, I would purchase the largest you can afford and not worry about the stainelss steel. I havent heard of a grey grasping the bars enough to the point that the powder coating chips off. In fact, my greys and amazon never grasp the bars, there is too much else for them to do.

Edited by Talon

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I ended up getting an A&E dome top stainless steel cage. My boyfriend and I decided that instead of buying another powdercoated cage in a few years just to spend a little extra now and get the stainless steel.

The cage came today and it is amazing. Its not the most expensive SS cage, but it seems decent. Tango loved it right away, which is good because I was worried about going from a playtop cage to a dometop. As soon as we rolled it in the house his eyes started pinning and he watched me put all of his toys in it anxiously and went right in when it was time. I guess I am lucky to have one of the few greys that doesn't mind changing cages.

Hopefully this cage lasts for a while because picking out one is super stressful for me. I was just afraid that I was going to pay for another cage that was going to fall apart like his last one did.

• Haha 1

Good for you! Glad the decision is over and also glad Tango took to it immediately. You just never know what to expect with them. Sometimes they have irrational (or so they seem to us) fears and other times they are unfazed by what we expect to scare them.