NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Urgent help

Sassy

Neytiri's preen gland is either impacted or infected. She's pulled all the down from it and its rather red swollen and oozy. I have vet apt in the am. There are a few pin feathers coming in there too.

I was planning on using warm compress and aloe gel tonight to help her. The gel I bought also has vitamin e. is this ok??

DON'T use warmth, the gland is like a nipple, allow to ooze, it's suppose to. Try bloting with cool water and get to vet. No heat!!!!!!!!!![like Wingy said if she'll let you] Maggie , contact Dave007...............................

no warm compress over an inflamed area, on contrary, a cold one is better (if she allows you). Try to keep her away from picking it so it doesn't get worse

Please keep us posted after the vet visit

Hoep she gets well soon

It's good to hear you already have an appointment for this morning. Best advice is to leave it alone for now. These oil glands can sometimes become inflamed, infected and even impacted. I am hoping for the best and a quick resolution to this for your grey. Please keep this updated when you have answers.

Yup it was infected. Vet said its like a pimple. Continue warm compress and aloe. Along with pain meds and antibiotic.

Thank you again, When will you get the test result? Does the vet think it is Vit A deficiency? Is he testing for hypovitaminosis A, immunosuppressive disease, the same that's found in PBFD? What type of Antibiotic's and pain med's [research them on the web] is he giving? Thanks Jayd

Thank you again, When will you get the test result? Does the vet think it is Vit A deficiency? Is he testing for hypovitaminosis A, immunosuppressive disease, the same that's found in PBFD? What type of Antibiotic's and pain med's [research them on the web] is he giving? Thanks Jayd

She is on metacam and bactrim. She already seems to be feeling better. She's been very active (not that she wasn't before but it seems better). He didn't do any blood work or anything and doesn't believe there are any dietary factors based on her diet.

I have a feeling I know how it happened. She fell from her perch the other night (do to the way she sleeps) and she has a number of pin feathers coming in. I think she damaged them when she fell and it let in bacteria. I could be very wrong though. I am seeing a few empty shafts that could have been pin feathers that were coming in. I'm not sure if he saw them during the visit so I'm going to call tomorrow and check in.

Metacam (Meloxicam) is one of several drugs classified as non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) Dog and Cat Med.

Bactrim is an antibiotic used to treat different types of bacterial infections such as urinary tract infections, middle ear infections, bronchitis, Human sulfra drug. Is your vet a "Bird" vet or general animal vet". thanks

He's a bird vet. And we'll known in area. She's been on both these meds before and done well with them. She's already responding well to them I'm just concerned now that I found the empty shafts that that may be a future source of infection. Waiting to hear back from vet today on my question. That and preventing any bad picking habits from forming.

She is on metacam and bactrim. She already seems to be feeling better. She's been very active (not that she wasn't before but it seems better). He didn't do any blood work or anything and doesn't believe there are any dietary factors based on her diet.

I have a feeling I know how it happened. She fell from her perch the other night (do to the way she sleeps) and she has a number of pin feathers coming in. I think she damaged them when she fell and it let in bacteria. I could be very wrong though. I am seeing a few empty shafts that could have been pin feathers that were coming in. I'm not sure if he saw them during the visit so I'm going to call tomorrow and check in.

Hi Sassy, glad things seem under control.

Concerning falling from the perch, is it possible to lower the perch so any fall wouldnt be dangerous? In case not, how about a small pillow or a wrapped towel bellow it at night? Its just an idea.

Awaiting your good news about your baby

Down feathers are ok and may be just because it is nearing summer time and both my birds are dropping down feathers through out the day. In regards sleeping on the water bowl, maybe it's more comfotable right now? Where does she normally sleep? Now the bottom of the cage would alarm me as well as you I suspect. But, ultimately you know her and we do not. If you suspect she is in need of seeing your avian vet again to ensure she is ok, then I would certainly recommend getting in to see them.