NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rare Markings?

Fay123

They can also develop the red feathers over an area that has been plucked or injured, like a grey dog may grow dark or black hair over scar tissue. Pookie my now 30 yrs old CAG has many red feathers and she was a long term plucker. She has been with us for the last several years and the plucking has reduced to just a few nervous plucked down feather pieces but has regrown as much as she is able on her belly and chest.

We also have a Grey with red markings on her breast and under the wings. She is only six months old so we don't know if they are permanent or will eventually molt out, but she has had these markings since we first saw her at age 3 months. We had a choice from several chicks at the Breeders but choose her because of the markings. The breeder told us that she is the first bird he has hatched with the 'red factor', so I am presuming it is caused by a recessive gene.

Alexandra.2014-03-06.738.jpg

Alexandra the Grey

HRH Inara (TAG) has light peachy colored feathers in those same areas Ausage. Hers are just a very pale blush color and truthfully, I've never given them a moment's thought other than to think that they are pretty in a watercoloresque sort of way.