NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Not the best way to delurk

marrocco

The final report came in. Obi had sarcocystosis, a parasitic infection, that lead to pneumonia and death. The carrier of the parasite is the virginia possum. The disease predominately affects old-world parrots. It affects birds in out-door aviaries or who may otherwise ingest insects that have come in contact with contaminated fecal matter from an infected possum.

Obi was inside for the entire two weeks I had her.

Keith

Guest briansmum

oh thats terrible, so it means she came to you with the infection? which also means it is likely more of the breeders birds have it.

my heart goes out to you in this sad time. are you going to take action against the breeder?

I'm so sorry, Keith for your loss of Obi but there was nothing you could do to have prevented it, and thanks for sharing the necropsy report with us. I know your heart is heavy with grief right now but we are here to talk to if you need us, all you have to do is ask.

At this point I'm *still* trying to get used to her not being in the cage when I walk past, even though she was only in it for 13 days. And I'm continuing discussions with the breeder and researching just how long it takes sarcocystosis to lead to fatality after the initial ingestion of the carrier insect. After this, I'm going to look for another bird from a breeder with a good reputation.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, Obi was infected when you got him...no question. You said you had him just under two weeks right? Well, I don't know about Texas but Florida has a Pet Lemon Law, kinda like what cars have...it covers your pet for 2 weeks...and what happened to Obi would be covered for sure. Did the breeder give you your money back?<br><br>Post edited by: BMustee, at: 2007/11/28 20:39

The discussions are effectively at an impasse. After consultation, it does not appear that it would be worth pursuing further given the indeterminate time of infection, costs of expert witnesses, etc. I am still very upset at the loss of Obi, but am happy that I have a new bird coming in January. This has just been a very painful and expensive lesson learned.

Keith