NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Thoughts on this cage?

Tara

It has 1" bar spacing. I'd prefer 3/4", especially because I want a timneh. Is 1" too big for timnehs? I get the feeling it might be, but I want a really big awesome cage for my future bird.

http://www.exoticwings.com/shoppe/kings-napoleon-top-model-507-bird-cage-large-p-413.html

If this cage is no good, can you reccomend the biggest one you know that's good for timnehs?

Thanks (:

That cage is big enough for macaws so it is definitely too big for a Tag, you are right the spacing should be no more than 3/4 inch, you should still be able to find a good sized cage with that spacing, you will just have to look around for it. Most sites will tell you what type birds are suited to a particular cage.

It says the divider is removable. I'm having trouble finding out what's best because some sites say even TAGS can have bar spacing up to 1" but some others say 3/4". I figured it's best to err on the cautious side - hence asking you guys. (:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it is quite small and really no good.It is better if you do your own cage and put inside some branch of tree,i am wondering how many is your bird.When i have a love bird they are 6 bird i use to crease a quite huge cage and they are freely flying and making love however one day they got sick and i went them in a on call veterinarian at http://www.jar-vet.fi/ in Finland they got treated then i realize that i need to set them free its quite sad to see a bird dying specially in cage just be sure that if you are choosing a cage your bird can fly free.

Please read this, a friend of mine nearly lost his bird to heavy metal toxicity from one of their cages.

• John the Owner of A&E Cages - Page 3 - Avian Avenue

forums.avianavenue.com/welcome-lane/​42511-john-owner-e-cages-3.html
    I had my A&E cages for less than a year and they were not only high in lead but had begun to rust. ... Your openness about the toxicity says a lot, ...

Facts About Lead In Bird Cage Paint - by Larry Houston Background Information

There is a bunch of information currently on the Internet about lead in bird cage paint - lead poisoning in birds and its toxic effects in birds. Some of it is not exactly correct. I am here to clear up the air of confusion.

My name is Larry Houston. I post as Larry, Baby and Me. I am just a regular guy that tried to find out if my Umbrella Cockatoo was safe and free from lead in the paint of her bird cage.

On the heels of the Mattel toy recalls and then the Broadbent Sanctuary in Kentucky story - I sent samples of my cage to LADDL for testing. The results came back as 3,200 parts per million for lead.

So - since August, 2007 I have been working nonstop to research this lead issue and in turn provide others with the most accurate information.

I am not going to go into any details here about the horrible effects that heavy metals can do to a bird. If any of you do not know - then there is plenty of information on the net that you can Google. --- it ain't pretty.

Lead poisoning is one of the more common poisonings in birds. It causes nervous system disorders, usually seizures. Veterinary care should be sought immediately if you suspect lead poisoning in your bird. Cage Causes Zinc and Lead Poisoning!

Many birds die from lead poisoning unless the symptoms are discovered and treated in time. Clinical signs of lead poisoning in birds include lethargy, weight loss, regurgitation, diarrhea, loss of balance, blindness, head tremors and convulsions. Also you can click here to read about lead killing our wildlife.

Lead poisoning (also known as Plumbism) is the most common toxicosis in children. Lead poisoning is also very common in pet birds. There are a number of potential sources for lead in our environment. Lead poisoning is a very serious condition and requires immediate attention from a qualified avian veterinarian. The prognosis is very good if treated immediately.

The clinical signs that are associated with lead toxicosis are nonspecific and the severity can vary depending on the amount of lead ingested and the length of time of exposure. Symptoms are associated with the gastrointestinal (GI), urinary and nervous systems. GI signs include dark green to black droppings (that may or may not be diarrheic), vomiting, regurgitation, anorexia and pasted vent. Urinary signs include polyuria (excessive urine production), blood in the urine, and increased thirst. Neurological signs include depression, weakness, ataxia (staggering) head tilt, circling, blindness, and even seizures.

Edited by Greywings
  • Haha 1