NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

As Amazons age

Ray P

I have some observations about Amazons so the long time zon care givers can help on this and Jay jump in any time.

Many of the things that I have read seam to point to Amazons becoming mellow or more mellow as they age.

Cricket has had a very checkered past as she went through her hormonal years as I have been told by the people that had her from a year old to about 12 or 13 when I got her.

When she came home with us she has never shown sings of aggression and has become very affectionate the longer she is with us. She has a very strong bond with me and also with my wife and son. They however will not pick her up because of her past but Cricket wants to go to them.

My wife goes in and out of her cage and they both talk back and forth and they enjoy each others company. She when out of her cage will go to the wife and son and take food very gently from their fingers and than try to climb to their shoulders. Cricket has been on their shoulders a time or two with no problem but they remember stories about her.

When it comes to relationships with all of us Cricket has always made the first move to the next step.

We seam to be playing catch up all the time.

What`s your input.

100_0019.jpg

100_0018.jpg

100_0017.jpg

After being on the receiving end of Zon hatred I say just let them keep doing what they are comfortable with. The phrase "always leave them wanting more" seems to not only have worked in your household but probably encouraged Cricket to want to be "good birdie" to get just a little bit more.

Nice thread. Thank you Ray for starting it. I don't have anything to offer, as I got Nilah when she was 6 months old, so lucky for me she really had no baggage in a family envirement before us. She does live in the moment as Ray keeps teaching me, she loves me the most and is very attached to me. She is Incredibly affectionate towards me and loves to snuggle and cuddle.

I do have to put her in her cage before visitors arrive or she will fly onto their shoulder and let no one near her, she will bite hard if I try and take her off and then fly away so it's impossible to get her in her cage at that point.....she's so different than my greys.

I think the point I was trying to make is that a amazons reputation seam to come from their early hormonal years and as they age they mellow out.

The male amazon may take longer than the female but they too mellow a bit.

The hot three males I believe are the foundation for their reputation more than the female although the females do their part.

Most amazons are rehomed in the early hormonal years.

It may be better to rehome an older amazon than deal with the first 12 years. (Just an observation)

I think I would like to start some dialogue on this subject

Do you have experience with a male zon as this is a mantra you have brought up more than once or twice. Well I have owned my male zon for a couple of years and he is over five-year old. He is a doll and as for being a hot 3, he is not. In fact, he is the favorite parrot with all my family and friends. So poo poo to anyone who says that male zons are not as loving as females! Spreading rumors is not a good thing, in my opinion.

Thanks for jumping in Janet. What I would like to see in this thread is a real look into the truth and myth about amazons.

Until I got Cricket I thought every thing I read about zons was the truth. I know better now.

Lets look at the male, female amazons and address the truth, myth and fiction about our loved zons.

Thanks Ray...I'm going to stick my neck out here...one myth I could not bust...after researching our records, the net, and other outlets is the Double-Yellow Head Zon is still rated as being the most likely 'Zon to go either way with the bad attitude. It doesn't appear that age has anything to do with them mellowing out and females may have a slight edge on being on the nicer side. Buuuutttt....there are too many variables such as how they were bred, how they were fledged, number of other parrots they fledged with, what type and how much socializing, what they were fed and the amount of food available, location and environment, (hot weather, cold weather, sunny, cloudy, hot, cold), amount of owners, the owner's attitude, conditions in the household (noisy, quiet, argumentative, children around, other animals, especially other parrots, free-flighted or not). All these factors, in the case of a 'Zon, determines whether a myth is true or not.

Thank you, Jay and Maggie

It's wonderful that Janet has such a sweet "zon" in Louie. It's good to know that stereotypes are just that--generalizations that are not always true. I know others here have zons like Nilah and Cricket--who are female. It does seem there is a difference, although Jayd mentioned that with Double yellow headed the females can be quite a challenge at a certain age as well. I'd love to hear more from parronts of mature zons--both male and female. So much has been said about the "hot three", but according to Barbara Heidenreich even males from these species do very well under the right conditions. In fact, I think zons are her favorite parrots. I guess what I am trying to say is that a lot of the reputations that are ascribed to these birds is based on testimony from people who may not have known how to work with and live with these birds. Before I got a grey, I was discouraged by all the talk of phobic, shy, and neurotic behavior. Now that I am on this forum, I see that in general NONE of these claims are really true at all when greys are given the love and care they need. In fact, the only time I read about such behavior is from people who have rehomes or rescues. I tend to think that people create the problems out of ignorance rather than it being part of the bird's nature. I think this is probably true with zons as well.

Maggie here, Jay responded to a PM from Ray, in Jays own words I'd like you to hear it, a truth. "thank you ray, i love the post and i love our zons and i really hope more people would respond to this post. feedback is what we need, yours to mine mine to yours, questions like why is my zon the way he/she is and yours is different, in your case its your heart, knowledge, care and concern for our beloved zons."

Well, I don't have any other amazon experience. In fact, when I brought Nilah home as she was bought on a whim......I panicked cause I didn't know the first thing about them. I researched the web looking for an amazon forum...none was found, so I started the amazon room here. I have learned so much here from our wonderful members and Nilah herself. I expected her to ET worse as I had read other places, but she is a dear sweet love, a bit of a handful as you all know. She tests me all the time, but if I stay consistent, she quickly learns I don't budge, and she never tries that behaviour again. As she ges older, she getsmore attached to me , and in how she shows her love for me. I love all my parrots, but she has wormed her way into my heart with her appreciation of who I am. As Ray says, they live in the moment, and wear thei heart on their wing. She is a More forgiving parrot than my others.

Maggie here, Jay responded to a PM from Ray, in Jays own words I'd like you to hear it, a truth. "thank you ray, i love the post and i love our zons and i really hope more people would respond to this post. feedback is what we need, yours to mine mine to yours, questions like why is my zon the way he/she is and yours is different, in your case its your heart, knowledge, care and concern for our beloved zons."

Jay - I tried to respond to your PM, but it said you have blocked all Pm's.. just letting you know. You may need to have Penny look at your account if you are having PM issues again. :)