NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I'm new

BBlack19

I just wanted to say hey and I'm new here. I'm just getting into this and I haven't gotten my first AG yet. I put a deposit on one but I won't be able to get him/her until early Feb. I was just wondering what to expect?! I've wanted to get one for the past 6 or so years and I finally decided to get one. Well my wife finally let me get one! He's still at the breeders and I'm going to be by there every couple of days to visit and start the bond but is there anything else I should know? I appreciate any info anyone can give me. Thanks for all the help.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

lol, Hi, I'm also in both of your shoes. I pick up my CAG in about 4 weeks. I've put down my deposit and have visited him several times now. My girlfriend and I are really excited and can't wait to bring him home. I've picked out a cage and a tree but I just haven't bought it yet. My best suggestion is just to buy some books and read, there is also a plethora of information on the internet about the AG's. Good luck and congratulations to the both of you!

Oh yeah I've been reading everything I can find! The one I'm getting is also a CAG. I'll be getting him/her in about 3-4 weeks. He's already really trying to get off the baby food. I visit with him just about every day for about an hour or so. He just started using his feet to hold his food tonight. Can't wait to bring him home. Got everything set up and waiting.

Hey B) am new here, and would love to hear how things proceed with both of you and your AG's ;) It's nice reading about the acquaintance experiences and how they develop...

HI all, Im a newbie here too and I picked up my AG on Sunday. He has settled in great and is already a huge part of the family. He is 13 weeks old and weaned but we are still giving him baby food once a day to get that bond with him. He loves his cuddles and wants to be held constantly which is lovely as I also have a cockatiel who would have your finger off if you even try to go near him..!, so to be able to hold and cuddle a bird is a new thing for us and we are loving it. We hope that by our cockatiel seeing us handle our AG and seeing that we will not hurt him he may come round, but I suspect that will take a while. But thankfully the 2 birds are getting on just fine, our little cockatiel looks tiny now against the AG. Have loads of pictures if anyone is interested, in the meantime I wish you luck with your new little bundles of fun and hope the time until you pick them up doesn;t drag to much.. :)

Yeah when I visit him at the store, I bring a toy that I bought for him, a towell and some grapes, he likes them a lot. I think it helps in the bonding process and it keeps him interested. The store I bought him from is pretty cool they have an area with couches that we can take the bird to thats away from all the noise and distractions.I can't wait either to bring him home.

Oh that's truely lovely to hear, Shelleybum. So sweet and great it took him only a few days to feel 'safe' at his new home...

Please do place pictures, I'm so curious to see them.

Oh yeah...he's definitely comfortable. He's climbing all over me and being a little goofball. I decided to name him Petrie from the movie "The Land Before Time". I'm going to bring a camera with me to the store tonight and get a couple pictures to post.

I am new as well, and a bit jealous!! I got my COG on Sunday, as well, and he's already 9 months old. I don't think he likes me! We had some trouble getting him home, he got stuck in our break peddles, and we had a hard time forcing him to come out. Now he runs away when I try to pet him. I can swaddle him and pet him, and he'll eat oranges from my hand, but that's about it. What can you expect the first little while with a 9 month-er??

How on earth did he get stuck in the break peddles ? ? ? surely he wasn't lose in the car...He should have been in a carry box. I expect the experience has frightened him and he may take some time to settle down. I'm no expert by any means but I would suggest taking things real slow with him and let him get his bearings. We were lucky with ours as he was hand reared and used to people handling him all the time and we went and saw him quiet a few times b4 we bought him home so that he was used to us. Don't rush him and let him come to you when he's ready...

You know, now that I know better (through research), I'm a bit disappointed in our breeder's behavior. She told me to just put him in a paper bag to bring him home. Well, to me that was absurd, I wouldn't put my bird in a bag! I didn't realize that I needed a box for him until after the fact. So, this breeder just told me to let him sit on anything that I could find as a perch (we used a toy hockey stick). Well, that worked for a while, until we had to stop! Had I known then what I've found ot now, things would have gone a lot smoother :). I'm just disappointed that she didn't seem to worry about my poor Squeaky getting traumatized. Well, I think he's coming around a bit more today, he's not walking away, or dodging me when I try to pet him :). As I posted in my Newbie Question, I'm just taking a break from working with him, and spoiling him like crazy!<br><br>Post edited by: gery, at: 2007/01/30 09:16

I'm so excited for you all. I've had my AG for years.. I got mine from a petstore. I wasn't even wanting a parrot ( was in there for dog food:)) I saw her sitting in the smallest cage with dried droppings and the looks of it never being cleaned.. Her feathers were everywhere and she was only 9 months. Yikes!! You guys were smart getting yours from a breeder but I looked at her and she looked at me with those eyes like HELP me while the two little kids stuck their fingers in her cage.. She got one of them and told the other to "go away". I looked at my boyfriend and said I'll take her.. She would NOT let me near her for weeks.. Nor come out of her cage (she was distraught) and didn't trust anything or anyone. All she wanted to do was stay in her cage. So If you have this problem with your grey, all I did was open the door and let her come out on HER time. When I saw her on top of her cage, I went and asked for her to step up. She had NO idea what I wanted so she flew on me. Scared me half to death but ever since that day she knew I wasnt going to harm her. I bought her a brand new gigantic cage and she is my baby and a COMPLETELY different bird.. Don't be nervous, just have fun. They are amazing creatures and ANYONE is lucky to have one:) Good luck and congrats!

That's a lovely heartwarming story, Prettylila!

Very lucky for her to have an owner like you. Things might have turned out differently if some not so very much caring person would've wanted some 'toy' and took her.

I just got back from visiting Petrie about an hour ago and found out that he'll be coming home this coming weekend. He hasn't been taking the baby food since Thursday so I was told if he still maintains his weight for 7 days then I'll be able to bring him home Friday. Hopefully all goes well and he's been eating normal parrot food since Thursday and he's still weighing around 1lb. I'll definitely post pictures when I get him home.

Your pet shop story is wonderful! How long have you had your Grey? I am so excited about the relationship that is sure to come, just wish it would've come yesterday!!! Anyway, thank's for all of the support!

Also, BBlack, I love the name Petrie! If I would have seen that name posted before I got Squeaky (my 5 yr. old named him :) ), I would have stolen it myself ;)!

Bblack, that's wonderful news. Bet you're impatience waiting for Sunday now, keeping your fingers crossed :)

That would really be sweet of you (to post photo's) - am so curious after hearing your stories how this little one looks like!