NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Need advice- bird # 2?

Kizzybird

Hi from Kizzy's mom! There is a 14 yr old TAG in need of a new home. I visited him/her today and, well, you can imagine the environment- way too small & dirty cage, 2 perches, all seed diet (mostly sunflower), and only one old plastic toy hanging from the cage.

Now my Kizzy, CAG, is just a baby, 7 months old. Happy, healthy, and has the run of the great room from 5 pm-9 pm during work days and all day long on the weekends. Being so young, she is still cuddly and is very handle-able. She's getting more independent in her out- of- cage play but at each nite before bedtime, she perches on my shoulder for her head scritches.

I would like your advice and opinion on bringing this little TAG home. I understand that I will quarantine the TAG for 30 days or more, and will take him/her to our avian vet ASAP. I wonder what Kizzy would think of a new bird, and my biggest fear would be that it would erode the trust/relationship that we have built for the last 4 months.

So, please share your thoughts and experience with me. I work FT during the day but my nights and weekends revolve around the bird! LOL. The DH is very supportive but is fearful of birds (bites). My kids have flown the coop so I have a spare room that could be converted. I'm willing and able to go for it, if it wouldn't sacrifice the happiness of dear Kizzy bird. :)

Also, TAG is not clipped. My great room has a wall of windows (overlooks the now thawed MN lake -so Kizzy loves to perch and look at the pelicans, ducks, geese) She learned not to fly into the windows by trial/ error- she was clipped by breeder and thus never flew full force ( I will not clip her again) so she never got injured and now just flies to the window sill part of the windows or to her chair perch (see my pics so you can get an idea of what it looks like). I wonder if TAG should be clipped to prevent from flying too hard into windows?? won't clip unless you think it would help TAG be safe. Thoughts/ opinions needed on this too!

Thank you so much for everything,

Karen

Thank you for considering a rescue. I hate to say this but in your case I recommend you passing on it, and trying to line-up one of your friends. As most of the members known I am a strong advocate of doing just what your purposing, my [our] life has been devoted to rescues and re-homes. I know with out a doubt you could do it, but I feel you have a special bond with this special Grey you have. I see much future advancements with you and Kizzy. In the end, it's your decision, I would like to see you get another Grey but 2 or 3 years down the road. Thank You Jayd

I have one Grey I definitely rescued, and another that was "just" a rehome from a very loving family. I got the rescue Grey first, and it worked out well for me. However, I had to be prepared for trouble. I don't have a lot of room in my apartment, but I knew I may need to keep the birds separate (and even out of sight of one another). Furthermore, Greys are very sensitive and I worried that Ellie's slight feather picking habit would develop into something more troubling once she came into my home and saw that she was not the only Grey. Luckily my birds really like each other now, but I was prepared for the worst. I really took a chance, one that I realize now was a little foolish. I got good advice from forum members and my real-life friend Blueberrytunes, who reminded me that my time and finances would be spread thinner. I was OK with this, but again- I took quite a chance that it would all work out.

I think it was good that my rescue bird came first, as Oscar got the chance to live with me and bond with me a little before Ellie came along. I think it would have thrown my birds off if I had gotten Ellie (simple rehome) before Oscar (complex rescue). Of course, this is just my opinion and limited experience, but I feel it is worth sharing.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do, but I agree with Jayd- what you have with Kizzy is very special and deserves all the nurturing you can give. Unfortunately there will always be Greys in need, so maybe consider another one in a few years? (And yes, if you read my signature, I adopted my birds very close together- I would not generally recommend this!)

I am of the same mind as Jay and MoonRock. At just 7 months old your grey is just a baby and is looking to you for all guidance, nurturing and learning. Believe me, one grey at that age can absorb and take all the time you have in the evenings for four hours and the two weekend days. Taking in a grey or any other bird in need of rescue that will need lots of attention and love to get them settled in to a new home would greatly reduce the time your baby grey needs with you right now and would greatly limit how well kizzy would progress, learn and build a close relationship with you. But, ultimately the decision is yours.

I am torn on this one. Lol, but i guess that how we got 5 within a year and a half and found homes for 3 others. Depending on the new birds personality and baggage, he may just want to sit back and watch for a while and the interation between you and Kizzy could help get him over the hump. My Bongo was the first and thats been over a year ago, he is just starting to open up some. We do give some of the credit for this to Gabby, who is daddys girl. Bongo has watched those two interact and has been trying things they do out on me, it is quite interesting to be apart of. Now all of that being said, my flock are all over the age of 6, none are babies and i have never had a baby grey so i don't know what advise to give other than follow your heart and know your limitations! Best of luck with your decision!

This is such a tough call, we can all sense the urgency and your heart telling you that having Kizzy is such a wonderful thing that you want to provide that to a deal little TAG in need. When I just had my first little parrot Java, a red-bellied Senegal relative, I was smitten. Of course when I saw baby greys, I wanted one. There was a nagging little voice that said, maybe it won't be a good idea. The baby we brought home was ill and died. We brought home his clutch mate and lost him too. I worried and worried if Java had been exposed. Her life was never the same. Where she once had freedom, she was quarantined. Then, along came Gilbert, our rescue TAG. His need was great, his issues were greater. I turned him down and couldn't look for five long months and then another plea went out for his dire situation and I jumped on it this time. It has been two long years of patience and it has been hard and I often wish I hadn't turned Java's life upside down. However, she was almost five by then, well established and loved. I could take her to a basement sewing room and spend time with her out of her cage. To this day she and Gilbert are NOT friends. Some sage advice I was given "If you are getting another parrot for yourself, consider how much time you have to devote to each one separately. They may never become "friends". If you are getting another parrot because the first one is wonderful and you want them to have a companion, don't. They have been imprinted by humans and want YOU to be their companion." Not to discourage you, it really is situation dependent. It has to be carefully considered because bringing home this little TAG may make his life better in the moment, but uprooting him and finding it doesn't work will be more damaging to him if he has to be rehomed again. It takes a commitment to stick with it no matter what or the cycle of an unwanted parrot becomes a heartbreaking tragedy. You know your resources of time, finances and space. It could be wonderful and all your worries are for naught. If you decide not to take him, you may be able to sponsor and mentor someone else that could.

Is there any chance that with some mentoring and help that the TAG can stay in its current home? You don't say why the TAG needs a new home. Honestly I wouldn't add an older bird until Kizzy is older. She still has so much growing and learning to do and bringing in a bird with unknown habits might not be the best for Kizzy.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I'll take it and wait until Kizzy is older.

I truly feel in the long run you'll be happy with this decision. The next few years will be quite a new and wonderful experience.

I think you made the right decision for Kizzy, but is there anything you can do to improve the lot of the little TAG? Is the current owner well intentioned but under informed, where some mentoring might help, like Wingy mentioned? Or could you help find a better home, even if it isn't yours? It's so hard to quiet that voice inside once we see an animal in need, especially when compared to our own pampered babies.

I think you made the right decision for Kizzy, but is there anything you can do to improve the lot of the little TAG? Is the current owner well intentioned but under informed, where some mentoring might help, like Wingy mentioned? Or could you help find a better home, even if it isn't yours? It's so hard to quiet that voice inside once we see an animal in need, especially when compared to our own pampered babies.

I notified my avian vet - he knew of someone interested and I believe the little guy found a new home.

It is so hard to see another animal suffering and in obvious need of help. It is heart breaking, and when we know better it makes us want to help. I am a firm believer in 'doing' something. Doing nothing is not the answer. Having said this, it does not mean that the 'doing' has to involve taking the critter into our own personal care. I am happy that you 'did' something by informing your vet and having them help with the situation. That's definitely a win/win situation for all concerned. Thank you for having the ability to take action instead of being a bystander. I'm glad for Kizzy's sake that this bird did not enter your home and jeopardize the lovely relationship you have together, but at the same time, I'm happy that the other bird has a chance at happiness in a new environment ;-)

Well, thank you all for helping and providing advice! Kizzy is on my shoulder grinding his beak- he's probably happy to be an only bird at this time too. I too am glad that the little TAG has a new home. I bet the vet was a bit concerned when I called and said, "and he's on a sunflower diet! With no palm oil, no foraging toys, and no UV lighting!"

Told the husband to buy an extra lottery ticket- wouldn't it be nice to win big and be able to rescue as many greys as we could.