NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

About Red Palm?

Judo

Hey All:)

Has anyone given their Grey's Red Palm? I read that it was good for the CAG's? I think that it comes in liquid form and you add it to their food? I would appreciate any input on the Red Palm.

Thanks in Advance!:)

;) Hi danmcq and kiwibarb12!!

Thanks a Million on the link to where I can purchase them!:cheer: I've been searching all over the web site but to no avail!! I sill cannot find the thread on RED PALM on this forum?? Maybe it's already deleted?

Thanks Again Friends!!

Judo

• 1 month later...

Yes, My new veterinarian here in Calif. recommended it and sold me a bottle. Hers was pricey, and I know someone else with a CAG that buys it at Whole Foods.

I was also told by a friend that is a native of Ghana in West Africa, that you can buy it at the ethnic grocery stores, the little hole in the wall groceries that sell international foods. He said they use it for cooking and as a soup base.

My bird is doing well, its only been two weeks but i am seeing a difference in the plucking. Her feathers are coming in easier I think...

** You should also be able to find it at Whole foods, but if you are in Canada, try to find an organic food store. Ask them to order it for you. Also there is a website for C&L Aviaries, they sell Polly Palm Oil...or call /Em them:

LChare3208@AOL.COM

C & L Aviaries

3920 Bristol Pike

Bensalem, Pennsylvania 19020

215-638-4899

Fax: 215-638-1178

4 oz Palm Oil - $10.00

8 oz Palm Oil - $17.00

16 oz Palm Oil - $30.00

According to the website this Polly's Palm Oil is very good and comes from West Africa. Also from the website:

How your bird likes to eat Polly's Palm Oil?

About 1/4 teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon of Palm Oil per day is about right for each bird. Natural red palm oil is one of the richest plant sources of Vitamin A, better than carrots or apricots. It's also a great source of Vitamin E.

You put it in your bird's food dish, just dripped over whatever it is your bird is eating.

- somtimes we give them sprouted sunflower seeds or sprouted wheat berries

- or you can just get it spread on your bird's favorite seed mix, or dripped on bananas or grapes.

- sometimes birds get it on their vegetables -- corn, carrots, brocolli, or even sprouted pinto or mung beans.

Recipe: Congo Corn Bread

1+1/2 cups whole wheat flour(corn meal, or any flour, ground up pellets, etc.)

2 cups frozen or canned corn

1/4 cups red palm oil

1 cup milk (some prefer to use carrot juice, OJ with calcium, fruit or vegetable juice)

1 egg (include shell, optional) some birds don't like shells.

In cusinart or blender, combine palm oil, milk egg(optional shell) and half the corn until smooth. Pour over whole wheat flour and remaining corn. Mix until almost completely blended. Spoon into 9x9x2 in. Pan and bake 30 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees until done.

Recipe: Senegal Sweet Potatoes

1 Large sweet potato (baked or boiled) until soft. Put skin and all in cusinart and blend. Add 2 tablespoon ed Palm Oil. Shape into little balls and roll in sesame seeds or millet. Freeze and defrost as needed.

Recipe: Monkey Mash

1 cup cooked brown rice

1 cup carrrots (grated or chopped)

1 cup yellow corn (frozen, fresh or canned)

1 cup sprouted chick peas

1 cup sprouted soy beans

1 cup chopped broccoli

1/2 cup sesame seeds

1/4-1/3 cup Red Palm Oil

1 teaspoon calcium (optional)

Mix together and freeze in portions that will last for 2 days for your birds.

How To Feed Polly's Palm Fruit Oil

Feed about 1/4 teaspoon up to 1/2 teaspoon of palm fruit oil per day for each bird. Natural red palm oil is one of the richest plant sources of Vitamin A, better than carrots or apricots. It is also a great natural source of Vitamin E. It has been used safely and nutritiously in cooking for thousands of years. Soften the oil by holding it under hot running water for a few minutes, you can then pour it onto the spoon. You can also squeeze it out of the container into your measuring spoon or directly onto the food.

Most Greys take to Palm Fruit Oil immediately. Put it on their favorite things or mix it with their other food. After a week or two, you may notice the tail feathers getting a brilliant red. Just why that seems to happen we don't understand, but it does seem to work. Your birds will take on a brilliant sheen.

The oil is bright red, your bird will preen any spots off of themselves. Other things can be cleaned with soap and hot water. Palm Fruit Oil does not stain most fabrics.

Hi there,

Thanks so much! So, I checked and it looks like shipping from UK negates the ROI, however, I followed my nose and found this, for those of us in California, there is a great supplier right out here:

Red Palm Oil: Fruit of the Dura Palm, from Jungle Products. http://www.junglepi.com/buynow/retail.html

According to their website, (you can search by your U.S. Zip Code too) it is sold at :

Whole Foods Market

Wild Oats

Vitamin Cottage

New Seasons Market

Andronico’s

New Leaf Community Markets

Berkeley Bowl

Tops Market

Rainbow Coop

You can also buy it on their website. 16 ounces for

$15 US Dollars is a good price compared to what I paid my Veterinarian.

Further it says:

We love hearing form you. Really, we do. It is what makes all of this effort worth it. We love to hear your thoughts, constructive criticisms, and experiences.

Please feel free to contact us at the following:

By Mail

Jungle Products, Inc.

121 West North Street

Healdsburg, CA 95448

By Telephone

By Fax

By Email

info@junglepi.com

Business Hours

Monday through Friday 8:30 AM to 5PM PST

Post edited by: birdmom, at: 2007/12/04 09:53<br><br>Post edited by: birdmom, at: 2007/12/04 10:06