NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A Little Advise For A Big Decision?

Parry-Parrot

Okay so I'm from New Zealand. I don't actually have an African grey, I joined this site however because I am 100% set on getting one. I know about all the time, money, patients, care and most importantly, love that goes into having one of these fellas join the family.

I'm actually quite young, (a teen but not of your normal kind) however despite that I know I can handle befriending and devoting my life to these guys. When I was eleven and a half I finally saved up enough money to afford a lovely new friend, a bare-eyed cockatoo. I hand fed Gandvy three times a day, down to two and weened him off. He (assumption) and I quickly became best friends. I did about a year or so worth of research before I got him, reading through books, talking to our favourite pet store owner who was really just in it for the pets and of course wiki and other internet sites.

After awhile he learnt to say my name and as soon as he heard the car come up the drive way he would start screaming my name until I let him out of his cage (which I always did until he was ready for bed) and would then come give me kisses. He learnt to say hugs too and would say that before snuggling into my neck or leaning forward for scratches.

I'm sad to say that within a year our friendship was cut short by my older sister who, without thinking, took him to see the horse whilst I was at school.. Even more sadly it was not cut sort because he flew away, he would never fly away from home, but because he was squished due to his tendency to beat up scary things rather than run from then.

Finally, 5 ish years later I, although not over him, am ready to adopt a new feathered friend. I've learnt much from Gandvy, things that I can once again put to use with these big fellas.

Now first of all, I know they need a large cage, I have one that is quite substantial for something of an African grey size however I'm thinking I will get two, so they have a friend even whilst I'm not home.

So I have a few questions I'd love some advice on.

1: Is getting two together (young) a good idea? Remembering I'm not new to the world of cheeky parrots.

2: What size is the minimum I should have the cage for two birds, I know my cage is large enough for one but I want to make sure two will be happy in it.

3: What food do you advise feeding them? Nobody near me breeds them so unfortunately they come shipped from another place, however I have made 100% sure they survive the trip well. They come with some feed they are already on to make any transition to new feed easier on them. But what should I avoid having in the seed mix? I have heard not to get them ones with sunflower seeds in it, is this a good idea?

4: What food kills them? I know that like my old friend, no avocado, chocolate, seeds of fruit, tobacco and not too much fatty, salty, or sweet food either, of course. However what about grape seeds? Also I know that I need to be careful about how much pesticides are in them, we have our own grape vine and the rest I'll just be cautious of.

5: I know that they should have heaps of fresh fruit and veg but is there such thing as too much?

6: How often should I take them to a vets to get a check up? I won't be adopting them for at least another four months just so I know I have everything ready, part of which is finding out who the best bird vet is in Christchurch. They will also be taken there just after they arrive, in case they're stressed or anything.

7: Toys and puzzles are a must, I know that much but is there anything I should watch out for? With Gandvy I never liked to get him things like hanging things that had rubber bands or plastic rings simply because I thought "what if he swallows some?" Is that just me being paranoid or is there logic in that?

8: If I have to get a new cage it will be one with a perch on top, I like the idea of that. But should I get a perch for them other than on the cage? I do have cats so maybe they would like something high and away from them? Although my last bird (who was on the smaller side of parrots) quickly taught them the difference between a snack and a part of the family.

9: Clipping of wings, thoughts on that? Does it matter either way? Personally if there are no problems with it I like the idea of having them not clipped so they can be a little more free to roam. However I'm not sure what CAG's are like for not flying away from home.. I was able to let my bare-eyed cockatoo go outside to enjoy the trees and he'd return when he was lonely or if I called him down. Are these fellas the kind who vary depending on the individual as to if they would fly away?

10: I'm going to get food and toys before getting the birds so they can be set up waiting for the birdies to arrive but is there anything else they should have and is there anything else I should know? I'm going to have spare money aside in case something goes wrong and they need to go to the vets, anything else I should prepare for? Anything big or small I should know?

Okay that was a bit more than a few questions.. All well. Thank you all. I appreciate your time and look forward to learning new experiences!

Awesome! That's really helpful, cheers.

I understand completly that they're like a baby, my old birdie was two. However I think that having one to start with does make a heap of sense.

The reason I was thinking about getting two is because one: they would have company even when I'm out although at the moment there is always somebody home even when I'm not, and two I was thinking having two that came from the same place would perhaps make settling in a little less stressful on them especially after such a long trip? However if you think that it is best to just get one a wait a bit you're probably more likely to be right than me. ^.^ How long would you advise waiting before getting him/her a friend?

I will invest in both a harness and flight line as I too preffer the idea of letting them fly and perch in low trees but would be highly dissapointed if they were to fly away. I'm also asthmatic so nobody is allowed to smoke near the house anyway and hopefully that will make being aware of irrating smells like spreys etc easier.

Thanks heaps!

Another reason to just get one grey for now is that two at the same time may bond with each other and not with you, if you want your grey to be a companion and bond with you then just get one right now as you can always get another later on. Those of us who have just one grey may either have other parrots in separate cages or leave a radio or tv on for company when we aren't at home.

Oh, I hadn't thought about that at all. Alright, one it most certainly is, at least for the first while. If I decided I am ready for a second one awhile later do you advise having them in seperate cages always or just as an introduction? (I'm going with the assumption that it's not a good idea to just stick a new bird in with another bird.)

The others have given great advice but I would also suggest not to get an unweened baby. Greys have a tendency to seek a new bond after they are fully fledged. They have a need to break from their parents to seek new a new partner.

Steve n Misty

Parry-Parrot I am sure you are quite capable of being a loving parent. My boys did a terrific job starting quite young.One African Grey only, PLEASE! Bonding takes time, and as they imitate little humans, they require alot of time. I agree, getting two greys, they will just bond with each other most likely. Decide on a bird, then we can help you with the cage, diet and toys. What family members are willing to help? I am caring for my two sons birds, that are at college. You HAVE to have a support system in place, Nancy

He/she will be weened. (:

Also I have both my parents who are more than willing to help. I currently live with them too so if anything happens the bird will know the people who would be looking after him/her. So one it most certainly is.

Edited by Parry-Parrot

Also, I have seen things like hammocks and things like that for the birds to sleep on/nest in. I was wondering if they are a good idea or if the African Greys are quite happy with just their nice tree perches to sleep on?

Greys usually sleep on a perch. They nest in holes in trees to have chicks. I have never heard of a Grey sleeping in a hammock but then with Greys almost anything is possible! :)

Steve n Misty

Also, I have seen things like hammocks and things like that for the birds to sleep on/nest in. I was wondering if they are a good idea or if the African Greys are quite happy with just their nice tree perches to sleep on?

Yes they have hammocks and huts but they are really not necessary, I believe we have one or two members who use hammocks. Thanks

Edited by Jayd

The others have given great advice but I would also suggest not to get an unweened baby. Greys have a tendency to seek a new bond after they are fully fledged. They have a need to break from their parents to seek new a new partner.

Steve n Misty

A Grey will spend around 2 years with their parent before moving on to again stay with their original flock. A Grey doesn't start to mature until about 4 years old, and once again when they take a mate in most cases they remain with their original flock, at that their not in a big hurry to settle down. A conure, the father kicks out the baby when their fully fledged, he says your on your own.

A Grey will spend around 2 years with their parent before moving on to again stay with their original flock. A Grey doesn't start to mature until about 4 years old, and once again when they take a mate in most cases they remain with their original flock, at that their not in a big hurry to settle down. A conure, the father kicks out the baby when their fully fledged, he says your on your own.

That's true but sadly few breeders are prepared to keep a baby Grey for two years or more. On the other hand some will sell unweaned babies to get the cash in and would be parronts take them on because they think raising a baby will help make a strong bond. It might sometimes but it doesn't always work out that way. But you know all this Jay.

Steve n Misty

If I may, I'd like to believe there are more concerned breeders such as our Dave007 and others then there are bad ones. The blame for un-weaned babes is as much the people who buy them's fault as it is bad breeders,most buyers are misinformed and uneducated and some just head strong.. I know for a fact, Dave, myself and others here have and will continue to fight and educate to stop this practice.

I wish I would have continued to explain in my last post that a parrot becomes very hard to integrate into a human world the longer it stays in a natural life with their flock and family. Parry-Parrot should be commended on their decision to buy weaned. LOL,my problem isn't what i know but what I've forgotten and will not be able to pass on or to teach..This forum is how we learn. .Jay

Oh, I hadn't thought about that at all. Alright, one it most certainly is, at least for the first while. If I decided I am ready for a second one awhile later do you advise having them in seperate cages always or just as an introduction? (I'm going with the assumption that it's not a good idea to just stick a new bird in with another bird.)

You are correct in that assumption, even if they would happen to get along it is always best to have separate cages for each of your birds as they like to have a space they can call their own, their safety zone.