NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Protein Birdie Muffins

Lady Pym

Hi everyone,

Just made a new recipe of birdie muffins today. All of my birds went nuts eating them. Hope you enjoy it:

2/3 cup all purpose flour

1/3 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup oat flakes

1/3 cup hemp hearts

1/4 cup quinoa

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs

1/3 cup applesauce (unsweetened)

2 mashed ripe bananas

2 tablespoons canola oil

1/2 cup almond butter (natural, no salt or sugar added)

1 cup frozen corn kernals (or whatever veggie or fruit your birds will eat)

Mix dry ingredients. Add in corn kernals and mix again with dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients together, and then combine with dry ingredients. Put into greased mini muffin tins. I made 3 dozen from this recipe. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 12 - 15 minutes. Cool and serve. ;-)

Thank you! This looks great for us humans but not so much for our fids...Sugars, salts, etc. accumulate...and they may not appear to hurt in the present but can cause medical problems and death down the line. Some foods such as fruits causes runny stools and supplies no nutrients other than sugar and water whatsoever. Some food are just not tolerable by our Greys.

2/3 cup all purpose flour

1/3 cup whole wheat flour (there is no need for white and whole wheat flour. Eliminate the white and use the whole wheat. Cornmeal would actually be better since you are adding the quinoa.)

1/2 cup oat flakes

1/3 cup hemp hearts

1/4 cup quinoa

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 cup brown sugar (Sugar is not necessary, it just increases future dietary or health problems)

2 eggs (Scrub egg shells with white vinegar. After breaking the eggs into the mix, bake the shells for 30 minutes, crumble (smash) and add to the mix.)

1/3 cup applesauce (unsweetened)

2 mashed ripe bananas (Unsweetened applesauce and bananas are high in natural sugar so you do not need to add any sugar and two bananas seems like a lot.)

2 tablespoons canola oil (Most oils are hard for Greys to digest...you want to use red palm oil or extra light virgin olive oil. These are high in E's and Omega 3's.)

1/2 cup almond butter (natural, no salt or sugar added)

1 cup frozen corn kernals (or whatever veggie or fruit your birds will eat) (No sodium fresh veggies would be better.)

(You can also add sesame seeds, flax, chopped walnuts and almonds)

Mix dry ingredients. Add in corn kernals and mix again with dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients together, and then combine with dry ingredients. Put into greased mini (they should be put into muffin baking cups...no more oil please) muffin tins. I made 3 dozen from this recipe. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 12 - 15 minutes. Cool and serve. ;-)

Thank you, Jayd and Maggie (Spock)

Lady Pym that sounds yummy. Did you know that you can substitute cooked mashed sweet potato for the banana and/or replace half the apple sauce with steamed zuchini? The zuchini will take on the flavor of the applesauce and when steamed is very similar in texture. I wish my guy would eat birdie bread but he doesn't like the texture of breads.

Oh yes, this is just one of many recipes ... my birds are picky too at times. I try to sneak in good things into their breads. Whatever birdie bread is not eaten is enjoyed by my chickens. ;-) My conures like bread type products more than the grey does, but she will eat some, especially when freshly made.

Lady Pym that sounds yummy. Did you know that you can substitute cooked mashed sweet potato for the banana and/or replace half the apple sauce with steamed zuchini? The zuchini will take on the flavor of the applesauce and when steamed is very similar in texture. I wish my guy would eat birdie bread but he doesn't like the texture of breads.

Thank you Wingy your post's are always useful...As you know we tend to stay away from to much wheat [glutin], it isn't to healthful to our fids...Like you say, sweet taters and cooked carrots boost the protein, the almonds and walnuts boost the EFA's......Thanks

Edited by Jayd